SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meghane_gw

Another OTC flea/tick control warning

Meghane
15 years ago

This is in part a warning, and in part a venting/had to get this off my chest.

A client came in with a stray that had been keeping for 2 weeks. She had acute onset of vomiting, salivation, incoordination, lethargy, pale mucus membranes, and intense upper abdominal pain. She had gone to bed with her Hartz flea/tick collar and woke up without it (she is crated at night). The darn thing is an organophosphate! I thought those had been taken off the shelves years ago, but here it is. Radiographs confirmed she had eaten the collar, AND that it was stuck in her stomach, and oh by the way she also tested positive for parvo. Unfortunately I had to recommend euthanizing her- the combo of an intestine and bone marrow destroying disease with a surgical GI emergency and organophosphate toxicity- it was all too much. I felt so bad for the owners.

PLEASE tell everyone you know to avoid those damn collars. I had NO idea that they were organophosphates- I thought they were pyrethrins which are not well absorbed orally. Not so much. Atropine is curative (I gave her some as soon as the owners confirmed the type of collar) but of course if the collar is stuck and there is parvo on top of everything, things go from bad to hopeless pretty quick.

Oh, and if you find a stray, don't take it home- take it to the vets and get it vaccinated. That poor dog could have been saved if she didn't have parvo.

Comments (11)