SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_nj_gw

Master bedroom: which wall for bed?

Donna_NJ
12 years ago

We're getting close to having to decide whether the remove the 4' of radiator return before refinishing the floors. I'd like to put the bed on the wall opposite the door, DH feels the night-tables will be uncomfortably close to the bed. Any opinions, thoughts, comments? This is part of a major master bedroom/bathroom/closet remodel....

Comments (16)

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

You must be delighted to be nearing the end of your remodel. In the first layout on the left, the nightstand drawers or doors look as though they'll impinge on the adjacent furniture (a dresser?). They would be less likely to conflict if the two dressers were swapped in both layouts....so it makes me wonder if perhaps there's another reason why you've put them the way they are. It appears on my screen that the dressers would fit better in both layouts if they were switched. I think that would also widen the walkway in the 2nd diagram between the foot of the bed and the dresser because the narrower dresser (if the diagram is to scale) could be shifted to the left on that wall, and you could likely increase the space about 6 inches-- to 3 ft. I'd want to see that change (or at least see if that's possible) before voting.

• annzgw
    12 years ago

Are those windows or doors on the 'south' wall, and can the bed go there?
    I prefer the bed in the left example but don't like the cramped look of all the tables on the 2 walls. The reason I prefer it is because you don't have to walk around the bed to get to the closets....IF those are closet doors on the south wall.

• Related Discussions

which lamp works better in the master bedroom?

Q

Comments (37)
    @Kerry - the bedspread - started with a grey checkered one and replaced with a white one with grey border. planning on replacing with another one - still white but a bit more grey throughout (vs just the border). I wasn't sure if you were thinking the white one was too white (when you commented to post with the new bed spread).
    ...See More

master bedroom ideas for bed and window treatments and walls

Q

Comments (10)
    It is kind of like Facebook, but only for your neighborhood and it limited to a certain area by zip code I think. You can sell things, ask for recommendations, report lost/found animals, etc.
    ...See More

Grey walls in the master bedroom. Which floor colour to go with?

Q

Comments (8)
    I would absolutely NOT use that dark gray floor. And you are doing things backward--select all your hard/permanent finishes and colors first, the wall paint color last. For the most timeless look, a medium brown wood, REAL wood, will go with anything, and will never be out of style. Gray floors have already had their moment. And laminate is an awful choice for a floor.
    ...See More

Which Bedroom to use as the Master?

Q

Comments (9)
    I agree with latfolia - that corner closet in the "master" is messing up the whole room. But 13' x 15' is a decent sized bedroom - ours is 12'x14', and we have plenty of room for a king bed. You might feel better about the closet if the doors weren't mirrored. I would start by opening up the closet, so you have full access, all the way to the right end. Efficient use of organizers, with single and double rods, could give you all the closet space you need for daily use clothes. Off-season and less-used clothes can go in one of the other closets.
    ...See More
  • les917
    12 years ago

Not sure why both dressers can't go on the long wall to the right, rather than jamming the one in on that short wall? Then the night stands won't have to be so close to the bed.

I would rather see the bed on the bottom wall, and the long dresser on the right wall, close to the doorway, the short dresser on that short wall at the top.

• Donna_NJ
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am *very* excited to be nearing completion on this, it's the last major work we need to do on the house. The bathroom and closet are significant improvements on what we had before.

In the layout on the left, the nightstand and dresser are positioned to provide enough clearance for both pieces to open their drawers, but DH is worried about having the nighttable so close to the bed. The dresser has a mirror mounted on top of it, the other piece is a taller (60') chest of drawers.

The drawings are to scale. Both the dresser and chest are 19' deep. They're two windows on the south wall, the slanted wall is the entrance to the bathroom. I'll try and post larger pictures -- I really appreciate the feedback!

Hmmm, I'm having difficulties with html tonight, so will direct those who are interested to my Flickr page, where you can see more of the whole project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr page

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

The left layout feels safer, more comfortable, and more spacious - it's more sheltered from the door, and there is not the awkward pinch point between the bed and the dresser. There's a much better flow of open area - one large area instead of two smaller, a longer visual axis seen from the door, and from the bed.

I agree with sujafr about swapping the two dressers - you'll have a bit more room for the night stands, and the mirror over the shorter dresser will do a better job of expanding the room visually if it is opposite the bed than if it is in the upper left corner.

Or put both dressers on the long right wall.

I kind of like my night stands right up against the bed anyway - so I don't drop stuff in between as much.

• Donna_NJ
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think we may end up with our original furniture layout. One thing I'd forgotten in my first posts was the flat panel TV that needs to be mounted (either on the wall or on top of the chest of drawers) opposite the bed.

Les, were you suggesting putting the bed on the wall with the windows? I don't think that would work, the windows are very tall and go down to 24" above the floor.

Here's where I'm thinking today -- which is essentially the layout we had before starting the project.

Thanks for the feedback!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed on door wall

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

But how will you see burglars coming if your bed is on the same wall as the door?
    My bed must face the doorway for this reason alone, nothing else works for me :)

• Donna_NJ
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DH and I are in violent disagreement about whether the bed should face the doorway or not. Well, perhaps not violent, but he likes it on the door wall, I'd prefer it to face the door.

I think this is my only other real option, but I'm not crazy about the dresser being in front of the windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed on far wall

• les917
    12 years ago

Why can't the dresser and the chest both be on the same wall? I would put the TV over the dresser, so it isn't sitting up so high. Then put the chair between the two windows, perhaps with a small table beside it, so that would be another place to watch tv.

• Donna_NJ
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The TV can't go over the dresser, there's a mirror with small drawers attached that's on top of the dresser. And I don't think I can come up with more than 4 feet between the bed and the window wall, which doesn't seem wide enough for a chair to be in there too.

I think the dresser in front of the windows is a no-go, so am back to thinking our original layout is probably best.

One more possibility though, with the bed facing the door. The chest is narrower than the dresser (54' v. 60'), so if it's on the short wall to the left of the bed, it's not as cramped in that corner. What do you think of this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bed on far wall, v2

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

From what I can tell (not good without measurements or IRL pics), visually your latest proposal seems to put your one nightstand directly up against another piece of furniture on the one side (can you open drawers on either at the same time) and up right against the opposite wall on the other side. Seems tight. Is there any space between the night stands and the bed and/or other furniture in the last set up?

The view of the bed on door wall looks like it affords you the most open space. Is your tv really larger than your dresser shown, really looks huge, but I am not sure what program you're using or if you are drawing to scale?

Most times, at least for feng shui purposes you don't want your bed on a wall where your feet face the exit door of the room, which fortunately neither of your options would put the bed in that position.

Can you post actual pics of the room?

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I actually prefer the arrangement on the right of your first post because there would be no view into the bathroom (although it's not a direct shot by any means so maybe you can't even see in there at all. It seems like the only problems (squished night stand at bottom of pic and tight walkway at foot of bed) could be solved by having a smaller (maybe round?) table next to that one side of the bed. The bed could then slide down a bit. Could you use the nightstand in another room and find a smaller, non matching one?

• Donna_NJ
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So which takes precedence, feng shui without feet facing the exit, or feet facing the door so you can see a burlgar coming in? ;) Currently (well, pre-reno) the bed was on the door wall -- the feng shui position also seems counter to the design principle I've seen a few times that the wall you see upon entering (ie, opposite the door) should have the bed. I'm confused :)

The nightstand and chest in that latest version can't be opened simultaneously, but either one can be opened at a time. It is tight -- there's space between the left-side nightstand and the bed b/c DH doesn't want them butting up against each other on his side, but on the right-side, I have the night-stand right next to the bed, which is how it currently sits on my side.

Everything is drawn to scale, it's done in Floorplanner. It's a big TV :).

We're still mid-construction, so I don't have any pictures that show the entire space. This is probably the best floorplan I have, it's got dimensions, and it's all correct except the 6'8" wall is only 6'6".

Here is a link that might be useful: Final floor plan

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I have always understood that ideally you should walk into the room and see the bed full on. It shouldn't be behind you or off to one side. It's the main attraction in the room and the biggest piece so you should see that upon entering the room. Kind of like a dining room table should be the main piece so you wouldn't put it up against the wall or off center. But with some rooms that's just not always possible to place the bed this way so next best location ~but definitely a view of the bed as focal point upon entering the room. Has anyone else ever heard that?

• EG3d
    12 years ago

I agree with Les = both long dressers on right wall.

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

After seeing your drawing of how close the tall chest would be to the nightstand, IMHO the best arrangement would be to have both the dresser and chest on the long wall with the entry door as les and others have suggested. That way the bed could be facing the door and have enough room around it.

Have you ever tried removing the mirror that you say is attached to the longer dresser? It seems like many are usually removable and visually that would help you I think. (I ask this because I've found that things we often consider one-piece inseparable units are actually not as they appear--fortunately I found that out when refinishing a piano and when movers couldn't get a roll top desk through a doorway.) If you can remove the mirror/drawer unit, the TV could mount above that long dresser and look more appropriate for the size below it since the taller chest is just a bit narrow to look good with the wide TV above it. Then you could possibly put the mirror above the chest (or elsewhere). It seems to me that you'd gain a lot by trying that.