SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Time to put dog down?

Kristen Hallock
9 years ago

I have a 12 year old black lab. He was diagnosed with oral melanoma back in April 2014. We didn't treat it because the results are usually very good and he is already old. I didn't want to put him thru a lot just to get another 6 months out of him, you know? I did have them remove as much of the tumor as they could so he wasn't chewing on it while he ate. But it grew back in just a few weeks. Now it is bigger than before. This type of cancer is supposedly aggressive and does metastasize.

So now the tumor is peeking out of his mouth a little. It bleeds because he chews on it. He can't help that. He's also started pooping in the house. Not gross poops, but still...that could just be old age and he just needs to be let outside more often. He also clears his throat every so often and I felt a mass in his throat. So maybe more cancer is there?

This all sounds bad, but he still eats like a champ! He follows you around the house looking for food and for rub-downs. He does still seem happy. Not as happy as he was when he was 5, but not miserable either! He just ran across the front lawn to see our neighbor. I guess the decision would be easy if he didn't want to eat or never wanted affection but he still does want those things (a LOT).

To complicate matters we are getting a puppy in early October. I think he'd be fine around a puppy but I'm more thinking about how a puppy might miss him if the puppy is only here a few weeks and then this dog needs to be euthanized. But I don't want to decide to put him to sleep just because of a new dog.

So WWYD? Euthanize because the tumor looks painful? Or give it more time and wAit till he doesn't seem happy anymore? This is my first dog and I just love him to death. But I really hate looking at his oozing sore. It makes me sad. I just wish someone else would decide!

Comments (25)