SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corgilvr_gw

New plumbing looks awful and sink does not drain.

corgilvr
13 years ago

We were finally able to use our bathroom sink after a 7 week renovation project done by a contractor with excellent references. He did not sub any of the work out. The bathroom was gutted down to the studs and all drains and supply lines were to be new from the basement up to the second floor bath. Even the toilet was moved.

We had the expected glitches along the way, but all were resolved. My greatest disappointment came yesterday when the plumbing was finally completed and I could use my bathroom sink. There is no vanity cabinet and all the plumbing is visible, therefore, from Day 1, I stressed that I wanted to upgrade the trap and all supply lines. I did not want to see any flexible tubing. I did not think I needed to stress that the pop up drain should function and that the sink should drain. I can't post a picture, but will try to explain what I see. I did supply the contractor, at the outset, with pictures of what I expected.

The vertical pipe connecting the drain to the p trap is 12 inches long. That length is made up of three pieces of pipe and each of those has a different finish or color. One is a brushed metal finish and the others are polished chrome. The white teflon tape used in one of those connections is visible. The drain line is not centered between the supply lines. I was home when the supply lines to the faucet were being put in and the metal mesh flexible lines were not used. I had to leave before the rest of the work was completed and the water was turned on. Frankly, it looks like something even I could have done. It does not look professional.

When the taps are turned on, the water does not drain efficiently and pools in the bottom of the sink. The pop up drain does not seem to rise high enough from the drain opening in the sink. I haven't tried to use the shower, but the toilet flushes great! I don't want to turn the shower on until the contractor is here. The pipes under the sink are also "sweating".

Is a twelve inch, 3 section vertical pipe considered a normal length? Looking at diagrams, that includes what I think is called the tail piece. The contractor seemed aware enough to suggest I purchase a sink which was also glazed on the underside since it would be visible. Foolishly, I assumed he would use plumbing that met the same standard.

Needless to say, I am very dissapointed with the appearance and function of the sink. The old one, with the old plumbing, drained better. All of these lines exit a newly tiled wall. What should I ask for and what may I resonable expect as resolution?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may offer. This was not a "budget" job and we welcomed any change orders to make sure the job was done to the standard we expected. I have lots of extra tile!

Comments (9)