SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angus2211

Please help us decide on a water filtration system

Angus2211
10 years ago

Thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide!

We just moved into a new construction home with well water, 3200 sqft, 2 adults, 2 kids. The builder had the water tested by an independent lab and Iron was what popped up at 0.8 mg/l. Manganese initially was at 0.058 mg/l, we had that retested and it was well below the EPA acceptable level Ph was 7.99 and hardness (CaCo3) 50 mg/l. We are already seeing orange staining in the toilets.

We had a Kinetico guy come buy who strongly recommended a water softener (their Premium line) for $3,000 to get rid of the Iron and also make our somewhat hard water soft. Another gentleman that sells Evolve systems recommended a water filtration system for $2,500. He said we didn't need the softener, which would be $2,900 from him installed. The Evolve guy gives a lifetime warranty on all systems, they will test the water every year for free and also put an outlet for the system in the basement as part of installation. I called a smaller company for a quote as well. That third company doesn't sell a specific system, but said we need a water softener and he would install it for $1,800. All these systems are on demand systems, have tons of features that don't mean that much to me. All three said that the water pressure drop would be negligible, we would always have filtered water available (minus the cleaning phase once a week for 30 min on Evolve system) and that the systems measure how much water we use, when salt is low, etc. so essentially maintenance free minus refilling the salt, which we wouldn't use much of because the water isn't very hard.

It all seems like a lot of money to me to get rid of some Iron. I would just buy a three filter system from Home Depot (Perfect Water Technologies Whole House System) for $600 and have a plumber install it. My husband thinks that it may not work right, the filters are not cheap and we will pay more in the long run.

Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)