SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

Take off door moulding to merge rooms? Make facing walls similar?

SparklingWater
11 years ago

1.To merge the long galley kitchen and eat in pantry in our remodel, I want to remove the passageway door moulding seen below in the picture below. The framed moulding acts to define separate rooms. Flush finished walls would be done, yielding extra inches (~6") to the passage way between the two rooms.

2. I'd also like to re-create on the right L corner wall, seen when facing the connecting rooms from hall entry to kitchen, the 12" open (no cabinet) wall as seen on the opposite the range wall upper. This is to add symmetry greater openness and light as one walks into the kitchen from the front hallway. Please suggest how to do this, as it affects the current L corner design (below).

The right L wall (where current double ovens are-removing) is longer at 68.75" (currently 40 1/2" from joined L backsplash filled with cabinets), then 5/8" filler, then 27" double oven box, lastly 5/8" filler attached to double oven adjacent to door frame being removed). The shorter wall on refrigerator side is 48.5" plus 3/4" filler, then 3/4" tall refrigerator panel-all coming down with soffits.

3.As my design shows, I'd like to have a glass upper next to the new non-framed passageway between the two rooms (kitchen and eat in pantry-with fixed brick walls between near cabinets). This look will replicate the window seen on the far pantry room and add light. I can move the upper wall cabinet 12" over by eliminating the adjacent to glass cabinet 12" doored upper. Then do I leave the heavy hinged double drawer (for cook's pots and essential in placement) where it is, or should I shift the base to the right too at least 12" over? Will that impose on the 36" base lazy susan and if so, is there a smaller susan, or a new design? In sum, how do I shift at least the upper to the right to create symmetry?

4. The 24" Sharp MW is an over the counter MW that suspends from the base of the upper 24" doored cabinet. It has no shelf. It's important to keep this; the refrigerator also can not be moved.

Thank you for your blunt suggestions. I need this figured out. We're getting closer to GC and cabinet order. Yes, I am talking to my KD but also wish for your input. Thanks again.

Here are the pictures of my kitchen and current design:

Framed opening between rooms being removed:
{{gwi:1718999}}

"L" wall with current double oven/soffit being removed where symmetry of open 12" upper wall replicating that on range wall is desired.
{{gwi:1719001}}

Two rooms need to merge more in spite of fixed brick walls between:

{{gwi:1719003}}

Current 68.75" long L corner wall design (sorry so fuzzy): Glass upper that needs to shift to right 12" to open space passage. Does the 2 drawer base cab need to shift right too?
{{gwi:1719005}}

49.5" shorter L corner wall with needed MW, fixed fridge (two 24" upper design or 48"):
{{gwi:1719007}}

Comments (6)