SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guatnut

Another potty question

guatnut
13 years ago

This is our 5th day with our new poodle mix rescue dog. She is around 6 years old. She has not relieved herself in the house (I watch her at all times and take her out regularly), but I cannot get her to go outside when I walk her around the yard with or without a leash. She will only go pee & poop when she wants to, or when I leave her outside alone, then she goes right in front of the outside door on a large door mat. I have been out trying to get her to go before bed for as long as 2 hours when I know she hasn't gone pee for at least 4 hours prior. She "wins" everytime. Another problem I'm having is I walk her 2x a day. While out walking, she'll suddenly stop, sniff, and squat. At first when I saw this, I repeated go potty, go potty, she went and I gave her praise and a treat. Now when she squats and I say "go potty", she stops immediately, distracted by the thought of a treat which I now have held back. She has even tried and faked a pee! As a result we get all the way home without any "results". No association with the word "potty". It's either let her go and not say anything, or say go "potty" and get no potty at all and we're back to square one (but with the exercise)! We begin our walks after breakfast and dinner which are at the same time everyday. I need some ideas to turn the noun potty into the verb potty, if that makes any sense! Anyone have any?

Comments (11)