SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreak100_gw

KAW - Week of 3/29 to 4/5

andreak100
10 years ago

Time to get another KAW (Kitchen At Work) threads going. I always love seeing what everyone's up to in their old, new, or being remodeled kitchens.

We're still mid-remodel...I'd say that we're at about 70% done, but appliances are in and functioning. :)

DH gave up traditional sweets for Lent. This is huge for him...he's probably the biggest junk food person I've ever met. So, it's a giant sacrifice for him. I've been looking for ways to make it a little easier and fruits are still options for him to obtain that "sweetness" he craves. I'm not certain that the "cookies" I came up with are the all-time best cookies ever, but they fit within what he's allowed and are fairly healthy for you to boot. Anyone gluten-free...these will work for you too.

Banana Oatmeal Cookies
1 ripe banana, mostly mashed up
1/2 cup plain instant oatmeal
- mix together ingredients. Bananas can still have some lumps
- place as 1 teaspoon-ish on sheet and form and slightly flatten (these won't spread or "puff", so what you see is what you get)
- place on greased cookie sheet or parchment lined (they stick for sure)
- bake for about 10-12 minutes in a 350* oven
- mine yielded 9 cookies

* you can add in many different things to these cookies to suit your tastes. For the batch that I made this morning, I added:
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4-ish cup golden raisins
1/4-ish cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup of almond meal (I haven't tried it with the almond meal before, so I'm curious to see how this turns out)

I would say that you could add any other nuts you like or most any dried fruit

They seem to lose their banana flavor within a few days, so they aren't long keeping cookies. I also put any that aren't eaten right away in the fridge.

As an interesting note, the cookie sheet I'm using was made in the old PRR (Pennsylvania Railroad) shops for my grandfather - he was a foreman there and the sheets are one of my "prized possessions"...there may be fancier and more beautiful sheets out there, but they are my go-to sheets because of memories.

What's everyone else up to in their kitchens (or makeshift ones if you're remodeling)?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH