SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Don't like color of my new bed!!!

jockewing
13 years ago

I am SO discouraged. I just received my Bernhardt Cooper Wing bed today, and seeing the fabric on a large scale, it is way too beigey with a faint peachy tone. I saw no evidence of this on the fabric swatch. It's just like paint, where it looks totally different from the swatch to the wall, but I can't paint over the fabric. I spent over a $1000 on this bed and waited 2 months for it. I just don't know what to do. The room is painted SW Quietude and I'm thinking that color is pulling the faint peach out as it does the same thing to my curtains.

Now I'm going to have to repaint, and get new bedding!

And I know the mirror needs to be moved and the drapes are too short! Does the bed seem too tall to you?

Comments (42)

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

That is an absolutely beautiful bed. Maybe you're seeing something I'm not because I think the whole room looks great. Maybe the vision in your head just doesn't match the reality, so you're thrown for a loop. Live with it for a while.

I do think you need to replace the little two-eyed fur pillow with an accent pillow in an unexpected color, like orange, to add a little static to the room.
    Dee

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I think your bed is gorgeous! The room looks terrific! I'd raise the sunburst mirror up, maybe add another pillow like dee suggested, and call it a day.

• Related Discussions

Help, I don't like my new granite

Q

Comments (27)
    I agree with others that a different paint color would help. If you're going to put in a backsplash, get rid of the 4" tall one of granite that's there and put in one that goes from th counter clear up to the cabinets. Then the granite color/pattern won't be so much "in your face". We re-did a kitchen in a rental condo and and the guy who put in the granite installed a 4" backsplash. We hated it on first sight, and I think it was because the granite pattern became overwhelming for the space. We ripped it out immediately and installed a tile 6" high backsplash with a mosaic border on top. We didn't want to do tile all the way up to the cabinets. I apologize for my less than stellar mock up skills, but it may give you an idea.
    ...See More

Experts Help!! Don't like part of my new backsplash!!

Q

Comments (21)
    They are making templates for my granite now. My layout is very similar to yours. And I was going to have tile sandwiched between the two strips of granite. However, I'd have even more contrast than you do. I was doing white subway and my granite will be honed black. I am totally thinking I don't want to do that now. But, back to you. I like the granite sandwiched between your granite counters better than the tiles. I think adding accents by taking out tiles and replacing them might make that area too busy. I think that if you use granite in that area, it would all look like one piece that is meant to go together.
    ...See More

Don't Like my new $$$$ Kitchen Table!!!

Q

Comments (77)
    pluckymama - thank you! That's so sweet to say, and I always feel I am coming up short compared to others homes and decorating! The tableset and stools are manufactured by "Lorts" and I purchased it from Lexfurniture.com in KY. I first read about them from this website, and I saved $1000's! Lorts didn't have a catalog online, but I found a website that showed all there products. (BeachlersFurniture.com ) However, a local store did carry many of their pieces as well as all the color samples that they do, so I was able to see, feel and decide locally. It's a dark day here in sunny FL and my already dark house is pretty dark. There is a lot of wood - but I am getting use to the set and liking it much better! Definitely the leaf helped.. so I think it's a keeper and we'll remove the leaf on Friday night card games! ( I play with my parents!)
    ...See More

I don't like my new kitchen floors and the transition to family room

Q

Comments (88)
    I totally feel your pain! Remodels aren't cheap and it's not easy for everyone to picture what something will look like before its done. I had a similar situation - I just didn't feel that I could afford to redo the tile in the entire house - so I only did part of it. Huge mistake. I "solved" the problem with carpet squares. You can buy just what you need, get pretty creative and install them yourself. I'm sure there are many companies, I used Flor. I recommend getting samples - as it's impossible to accurately assess color from the computer monitor. (Samples are free during promotions and sales are frequent.) I would also suggest that moving the sofa to face away from the kitchen will not only cover up some of the transition, but also define the space in a way to enhance the separation of the rooms.
    ...See More
  • forhgtv
    13 years ago

I see what you are talking about, but I don't think it's that bad. Maybe, as Dee said, it's just because it doesn't match what's in your vision. Here's a quick idea I had that might spark your creativity. I think you can bring the brown from the shades onto the bed to ground it a bit and add a patterned area rug to help tie all of the colors together and add some more pattern.
    {{!gwi}}

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I meant to say to generate a little energy, not a little static. Duh! Also, I meant to tell you, I have that same mirror over my bed. It's one of my favorites.
    Dee

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I know what you're talking about and am struggling with a similar problem in my own room. My headboard is a bit pink, the lampshades are kind of yellow-y and the bedskirt is taupe. When I really look it makes me crazy. I don't have as much invested as you do and I just try to "avert my gaze" as we say around here until I feel like I can spend up and get what I really want.

In your case, blue and orange, residing on opposite sides of the color wheel, will indeed draw each other out. If there were any orange in that fabric to be found, the blue walls would surely do it. Problem is, the best way to beat back the orange is with more orange. Terra cotta walls would shift the fabric back into neutral territory, but I know that's not the look you're after.

I think you should give it a couple weeks. The room is really gorgeous and you may acclimate to the not-perfect colors in time.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I agree with others you have a lovely bed and room. I think you can make some minor tweaks before deciding to paint. Amy has a good point about the blue and orange bringing one another out. Perhaps try some different bedding--esp. pillows in a crisp white or cream? Consider adding euro pillows and propping them up so there is not so much an expanse of the headboard.

That said, I have had similar experience in a guest bath which I painted green and it brings out a peach tone to the tile and counters. After many years, I still see peach and am finally getting ready to paint the bathroom so your post is a good reminder, since I was envisioning a seaform blue.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

I wonder what the picture is not telling us? It all looks very pulled together to me. It is a tish sterile for my liking but I am not seeing a color issue. I like forhtv's suggestion.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I think it's perfect! It will go with so many colors you add to the room.

And what a cute cute and SMART doggy! Awww...makes me want to crawl in your bed and cuddle. :)

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

The bed is lovely. Looks luxe and special and has nice proportions. You have a very pretty, tranquil bedroom!

I agree that the aqua wall color brings out the peach tones in the bed. I also think that Forhgtv's brown throw really does "ground" the room, and makes a difference that really registers!

Wonder if simply adding some chocolate brown here and there might make you happier with the color scheme? Another upside to that would be that the aqua wall color would also look fantastic with chocolate brown. I could see bringing in the brown through soft textures that are luxurious, and maybe also through a little something shiny, like a polished lamp, vase or other accent.

Don't stress. This can be turned around without reinventing the wheel!

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

I don't think the bed looks too tall, it has a very cosy but sophisticated look. Still, I would hate to be surprized by the color when you are expecting something different, but I assume its not returnable so I would work with it since you have a beautiful bed to work with.
    At least the other things you have in the room go with it. I do think the color of the bed warms up the blue, but I like the colors together. I don't know that I would do brown, at least the solid brown looks heavy compared to the rest of the colors, unless the brown was broken up with a print. Anyways, I think its a gorgeous bed.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I see what you're saying. You have all yellow undertones beiges and cremes and your bed has the peachy undertone. I think the blue is lovely but you may want to consider adding more of the peachy creams into the room.
    I'm sorry but I do have to disagree about the brown throw. I think it makes the room look heavy. I do agree that a floor rug would be lovely though.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

I think it looks lovely... from what I can see, the bedding matches fine. I think the only thing I would do is get drapes in a color instead of a neutral. Maybe the same color as the blue, but a tad darker? That dog is Way. Too. Cute.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

It looks fine to me..and I did save and enhance so I could see it better. Lovely room and I love the snuggle bunny.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I'm sorry it's not what you're expecting - I know how that feels - but I think it's very pretty. It looks good with your existing bedding (and your puppy) but if it were mine I'd glam it up a bit with ivory bedding.

A fluffy duvet with an ivory cover and lots of pillows would look grand with the creamy colored headboard and would cover up the top of the boxspring. You could use a seafoam or aqua blue quilt folded up at the bottom of the bed over the duvet.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am already kind of tired of this wall color, and I think it is a big part of why the orangeyness is coming out of the fabric. Thinking of painting in Revere Pewter and using teal or aqua bedding. What do you think?

• bigdoglover
    13 years ago

forhgtv's rug would be perfect, and/or something with that look elsewhere in the room like throw pillow(s). I would paint the walls a warm peachy off-white (but then that is my favorite color for walls), and put something soft and luxurious on the bed, like a silk quilt. the bed is velvety and cushy (and beautiful), I think your current bedding is too tailored for it. I don't like the brown throw either.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

What about Revere Pewter or similar, persimmon bedding with teal/aqua accents?

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

jocke

Decorating is hard! - I just keep trying & do find that pit in my stomach especially when it is a $$ purchase.

I think the bed is lovely -

I agree perhaps some new bedding, some nice shams & decorative pillows - I would embrace the "peachy" tones you see & not fight them I think that will help.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the room was My3Dogs guest room she did awhile ago, painted yep- peach/apricot - stunning! Did a search but can't find that post - perhaps you could do a separate posting "calling my3dogs" - she will answer & has excellent decorating sense/taste.

Can you post some other angles in the room - the mirror looks like it may need to go a tad higher.

You definitely have the makings of a lux hotel room - just needs some tweaking - take a deep breath & go slow - do you have a fabric swatch you could shop with? Start with some shams, decorative pillows

GL

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

So excited - used google image search found my3dogs pic!

Scroll down

Here is a link that might be useful: my3dogs peach room

• pps7
    13 years ago

I'm sorry you're dissappointed. Picking from swatches is very difficult. the same thing happened to me with my sofa.

It really is a beautiful bed-not too tall at all. I know you're sick of the wall color, but I would start by changing the bedding. How about putting a few euro shams to break up the expanse of the bed. And I would find bedding with some peach and orange in it.

The RH Italian cryprese in choclate. Or PB has a few- I linked one that I think may work.

I have a similar bed. My room is painted a dark brown and I have silvery blue bedding with orange paisley print and a rust rug. I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: PB blythe

• sunfeather
    13 years ago

I like forhgtv's suggestions of adding the rug and color to the bed.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

That headboard is to die for! Right now the bedroom is not looking like what was in your head but will probably turn out to be your most favorite mistake.
    Drama romance and serene all in one! Look at all the things you could do. Yes I know these are not the right colors but some wallpaper or fabrics or a dramatic paint shade just on the wall your bed is on will take your bedroom from very nice to OMG magazine worthy. I would play up that fantastic bed.

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=peach3.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=peach4.jpg"; target="_blank">

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/?action=view&current=peach1.jpg"; target="_blank">

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I went and bought some "Smoke Blue" Peyton linen drapes from Pottery Barn and I love them. I think switching the blue from the walls to the accessories and then going with Revere Pewter or some other warm gray on the walls will get rid of all the blue right around the bed and cancel out that slight slight orange-y tint I'm seeing. Also, I hung some pics over the bed and that helped make everything look pulled together. I also moved the bed to another wall in the room so it is not stuck between the windows and it looks better that way, not as big. I will post pics when I get everything fixed up, because I have alot of other questions now! I layed a dark teal velvet drape I had over the bed and really think a darker color on the bedding will make the bed itself look lighter. I hope this all works! Anyone have suggestions of a warm gray that would work good with blue-green accents? I think I will paint the adjoining bathroom Gray Wisp. A plan is forming in my brain! Oh and I have a beautiful rug that would be perfect in my living room, but I need to find a new rug for my living room and then I'll move the existing rug in the bedroom.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love the bed so much! I can't wait to see the changes you made since that bed is to die for and worth working around it to make the bed the star!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

P.S. your doggie seems to love the new bed lying between the pillows looking so cute and comfy!

• loribee
    13 years ago

I'm so sorry...you worked so hard finding the perfect paint color and headboard color ! I'm not seeing what you are seeing, honestly, I think it looks fabulous~ but good for you for solving the problem so quickly. Hope you post new pix soon~

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What REALLY KILLS ME is I went to another store yesterday that has the same exact headboard (not the whole bed) for sale, and it was in an off-white linen fabric that does not look beige at all. I was told that is the "standard" fabric the bed comes in and I confirmed this by looking at the copy of the page from the furniture manufacturer catalog the store I ordered the bed from gave me. However, there was no sample of this particular fabric to be found in the 4 racks of Bernhardt samples the store had available for me to choose from. If I had seen that as an option, I would have definitely chosen it!!!

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

Too bad you were not shown that option since that is what you really wanted, but I think something that has some color has more personality and could work out to be a happy mistake. Its still very subtle, and the texture of it is so appealing. I really do think the bed is gorgeous.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bed is starting to grow on me. I remember when I originally painted my room this color I absolutely hated it. When I got everything in the room and put together and lived with it a few days, I grew to love it. Unfortunately the wall color will not work with the bed. I really love the linen PB drapes in the sea green color I got called "Blue Smoke". I really think going with white sheets and pillowcases and some shams and a quilt in a sea green color would look really sharp with Revere Pewter walls. I found on PB's site a discontinued item called the Windowpane Velvet quilt. It comes in a color called Azure Blue that looks very similar to the Blue Smoke drapes (maybe a tad darker). Has anyone ever seen this PB color in person and compared Blue Smoke to Azure Blue? Would velvet bedding be too much with the bed itself being velvet? There are several of the velvet PB quilts and shams in the blue available on Ebay. There was nothing in my local PB store in the Azure Blue color they could show me. They did show me bedding in a similar but lighter color called Porcelain blue, but this color has less green and I think would go back to the problem of pulling too much peach out of the bed.

• sashasmommy
    13 years ago

Want to see pics, do show!

• charlikin
    13 years ago

The bed is gorgeous - I'm glad you're figuring out how to make it work for you. I think it's all going to come out gorgeous (love the PB Blue Smoke curtains btw - staring at a fabric sample right now!) and can't wait to see updated pictures.

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    13 years ago

forhgtv -- Eureka! Where did you get that rug sample picture you posted? It matches my FR rug exactly, and I'm wondering if you know where there are more, maybe in other sizes?

Miss Mary

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

MissMary, I pulled that picture off of PotteryBarn.com. I've linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I like the bed. It's kind of like when I got my diplomas framed. I swear I picked out a black linen mat and what I got was a sort of crushed velvet mat. I was SO disappointed when I first got them, but then it grew on me.

One thing you'll want to do is get a fitted sheet to cover your box spring. I have an ecru one that I picked up at TJ Maxx. But that works for me because all my sheets are ecro. You could pick one in a shade that matches the bed, and then you wouldn't feel the need to change it as you change bedding.

• Suzy
    13 years ago

i have the same bed but i got it in one of the 2 main choices at bloomingdales (it's bernhardt though). here's a pic (ignore the lack of decor around the room, lack of rug, drapes being lengthened, etc.). but i think the wall color definitely plays a huge role here. although i wish i had done either a brown (without the purple undertone) or a dark slate gray.

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The bed is growing on me more and more, and I see less of the peachy tone each time I look. It is much more noticeable on the "light" side of the velvet than the "dark" side of the velvet. I really think without the blue wall color behind it the peach will totally disappear. I can't show pics yet because I have to rehang curtain rods (new drapes are 96" inches instead of 84") and who knows when I'll paint. Also, got to find the new bedding first.

Since I rearranged the furniture in the room, there really is no room for my dresser anymore. Do any of you have a bedroom without a dresser? Would it be OK to store clothes in nightstands if I got one for each side of the bed with big drawers? I can fit all my clothes in my closet so the dresser really isn't essential, and I've had this dresser for over twenty years (since I was about 12!) and it's seen better days!

One funny thing I've noticed is that the bed is much more comfortable to sleep in now even though the mattress and boxspring are the same. It feels like the bed is much sturdier now and feels more "solid" if that makes any sense.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

I didn't notice the peachiness at all until you mentioned it. Then I saw it but I'm also completely suggestive! I'm glad the bed is growing on you - it really is beautiful! And doesn't it stink when you see another option that is totally perfect AFTER you bought something else? Killer!

I absolutely agree w/ the rug that forhgtc posted. I think it brings in multiple shades and tones of beige that will 'muddle' everything up in a really good way!

• avesmor
    13 years ago

It does look peachy to me, but it doesn't look unintentional. I think it looks fine. I understand disappointment if it's not what you expected, but it doesn't look bad from an unbiased perspective.

When you plop your swatch against the bed, do the colors blend, or is the swatch different? You may have some grounds for an exchange if the swatch color & furniture color are different. (I had a PB slipcover sofa replaced on warranty, and the new slipcover was the same color but from a different dye lot & they were night & day. Unfortunately one went with wall color & the other didn't, so PB let me choose any slipcover from any line. Maybe you could make a similar case).

Have you tried changing the bulbs in your fixtures? Try a 6500K or higher K bulb and see if that helps.

TMI: (K = Kelvin, a degree measurement for light. Natural sunlight is 6500K "full spectrum" light, meaning it allows you to see the full spectrum of colors. Typical incandescents are about 2700K and will burn "orangey" and make everything in the room orangey as well. Maybe try a higher K bulb (CFLs are higher) with a more blue or "true to sunlight" value to help offset any perceived oranginess.)

• jockewing
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can anyone give some color suggestions for the walls? I will use the Pottery Barn linen drapes in "Blue Smoke" which is sort of a sea green or duck egg blue color. I would like to find a duvet or quilt in this color also, and plan to mainly use white sheets. I have some nice artwork with turquoise and yellow colors. Should I try something like a Revere Pewter, which is quite gray, or do I go with more of a yellow or tan neutral? I want to neutralize the peach undertone of the bed fabric (which seems to lessen as I get used to the bed). I really do like the gray trend, but I am wondering if a gray color will fight with the beige bed? Should I go with something like Manchester Tan or Dunmore Cream? I really wanted to avoid settling for the old "beige" route, but that might work best. I want something that feels crisp and bright, yet still with enough chroma that it doesn't look like an off-white.

• kellykath
    12 years ago

I agree with jterrilynn, the bed is awesome! It's the color "combination" that
    plays a large roll in how orange the fabric really is. I too would play up that back wall with a darker more dramatic color (and I would not go a darker blue or it will bring out more of the orange.) I would go with a grey with some green undertones. Previously mentioned . . . Revere Pewter . . . might look nice as well. I felt the same way about a bed frame I bought several months ago - it was a Bernhardt with a tall scalloped headboard and I loved it in the store. I
    had been thinking about it in storage for what seemed like forever and couldn't wait to get it unpacked and in my new room. Once unpacked and put together, the color looked like pea green to me. Now, after having lived with it and working the room around it I LOVE IT! Don't stress - it's just another path you have to take to get to where you want to go!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

@jockewing - any updates to your room? I love the bed and think it is stunning.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I also love the bed and would love updates on your room when you have time.