SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

How to NOT free feed cats

michelle_phxaz
15 years ago

We have always free-fed out three cats. Recently, Lily was diagnosed with renal failure and is on a strict diet. Canned food (9 Lives, Whiskas, etc) was a special treat usually give once or twice a week for them all, and they always have dry food available at all times.

My dilemma is this: "Fat Boy" Frank loves Lily's new canned and dry food, but it is higher in fat and protein, and Fat boy is becoming a rather large furry meatloaf eating all her food (he is the dominant cat, so he chases Lily away from the canned food plate. Lily, on the other hand I want her to eat as much as she can all the time, she lost 2 lbs off of her already thin 8 lb body.

I need to find a way to bring a regular weight-loss cat food back in for Frank and Cali, but then Lily eats it as well and I only want to feed her the prescription diet, and keep the other cats from digging in with her on her canned food.

I need to know how to feed them separately when Lily's food is much too yummy for them to ignore. I hate to shut a cat up in the pantry while Lily is eating, and she doesn't eat much as it is. I really want her to free-feed, but I don't want the other two eating her diet,

How do I keep the cats apart for this situation?

Comments (4)