SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lady_west

Will this furniture work in my 1920's house?

Lady_West
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I used to post under a different screen name somewhat infrequently on this board and some of the other home topic boards here. But, life has changed, I'm now divorced and moving a state away with my two young kids. Starting fresh and buying this little house built in the 1920's.

I plan to do some mostly cosmetic things. Exterior: painting the siding to probably a dark, gray/brown or maybe green. Landscaping. Putting some white wicker patio furniture on the large front porch. I can envision hanging a couple of ferns too.

Interior: Having the ceilings replastered where there are those tile things. Refinishing the hardwood under the carpet. Possibly stripping the painted wood trim. In the Kitchen I will remove the box light things and replaster. Probably paint the cabs, install new marmoleum floor, new vintage looking appliances, probably new laminate counters, wallpaper.

So I think I'm leaning towards more of a 1940's kitchen. I really want something bright and cheery and I fell in love with a lovely vintage wallpaper. With white cabs or maybe even buttermilk colored cabs I think it will be so cute. And I already have bright red accents, like a red KA mixer.

1940's-ish kitchen Inspiration

Refrigerator I'll likely go with, might get the rest of the matching appliances. But if I can get a gas line in I might be willing to splurge on a colorful bluestar range!

The wallpaper I love!

But how to tie the kitchen to the rest of the house? I'm open to more wallpaper and I love the idea of hanging some tranferware plates on the dining room walls.

Love the colors and overall warm, homey feel in this room (will it work in this house???)

I'm starting over furniture wise so I'm game for anything. But I have two active kids, so I need something that will hold up to them. I'm worried anything delicate and antique wont last. I also have a secret love of colonial revival type furniture. I guess there is some of that from the 40's, but most I think was in the 50's and beyond? Not sure. Anyway, I'm not furnishing a museum, but I want everything to look kind of cohesive. For example, I don't want the trim to clash with the furniture style, etc.

Here are some things I've found on my local CL. I'd like to go the used route as I am an a budget, plus I think there is so much stuff out there already, why buy new. So anyway, will any of this work in the house? What do you think? Or what style would you suggest?

Living room end tables:

Dining room tables (not in a rush to buy, here is what's available currently)

Choice 1 (table, 2 leaves, 4 chairs and hutch for $350!!! but maybe its not right?)

Choice 2

Choice 3

Choice 4

Comments (26)