SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macybaby_gw

my knife drawer

macybaby
13 years ago

I don't think I have an over-abundance of knives, but I have more than fit in the average knife block, and I really don't like using blocks anyway - seems they are always in my way. I was using two, and still had some knives in drawers (counting my cleaver that was too big).

I decided I'd see if I could come up with a way to store them so I could get at them easily that didn't involve putting my fingers at risk, and still have them out of sight.

This is the end result -

I would have liked to make it larger but had size constraints with this small island and needing room for DH's cereal and the waste basket - eventually everything will be enclosed when we make the side panels. They will match the doors and we haven't gotten to them yet.

Since the side panels are not installed, here is a view from the back side.

We had left-over butcher block from the island top, and cut that into strips. Then we laid them out and put on the markings for the knife slots and cut them with the dado blade on the table saw (lots of passes as the max we could go on the dado was 1/2" wide). Most are only 1/8" deep. The one for the cleaver and knife hone are larger.

Once all cut, we glued them together.

This is made up of 9 pieces

Once that was dry, DH cut it to size and sanded it well, and then I oiled it and we put the sides around it. I didn't want exposed knives, but wanted the bottom open for cleaning.

Since we do the bulk of our cutting on the island, having the knives right here works well.

Comments (18)