SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downtowner_gw

Recirculating HW for $34. No pump needed.

downtowner
15 years ago

I got this idea from some physicist posting on the Net.

Water has a natural tendency to flow from hot to cold.

Just install a thermostatic sensor valve under the sink at the end of a run. Forget the pump with timer that usually comes as a kit with them. Voila. Instant recirc system (hot comes in less than 5 seconds, cold needs to run for a few seconds to get really cold.) No need for wiring, draining the HW heater, etc. A homeowner can do this herself. The savings are substantial.

And the beauty is, if it doesn't work for you, just buy the pump and add it later.

The way this valve works is by monitoring the temperature. When HW goes below about 85, it opens to let HW run into the cold until temp is about 95. HW at valve never gets cold.

Our townhouse plumbing is set up in parallel with 4 different runs to each of 4 stories (including basement).

Put these in my basement and 1st floor, and they work brilliantly. No more delays. No more chapped hands from freezing water in winter. DW smiles. One more will go in 2nd floor bath when finished.

I also have a recirculating two-line 3/4" HW system for the third floor, 40 feet above the HW heater. We turned off the pump. HW circulates naturally, and pump is not needed.

If I had put the sensor valve on the 3rd floor, I would have saved thousands in plumbing cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sensor valve is all you need

Comments (10)