SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frank1203

Gas Pilot Question

frank1203
15 years ago

Hello - I recently completed a project where I converted my wood burning fireplace to gas, and although I love the ease and beauty, I am questioning whether I made the right decision from a standpoint of inefficiency and safety.

I decided to go with a "standing pilot" as opposed to the elecronic ignition because the company that I purchased the logs and accessories from did not offer a variable flame with the electronic ignition. I wanted the ability to control the heighth of the flame so I had to go with eiether a standing pilot or manually lit pilot.

Now that I've been using this for a few days, I'm not sure I like the idea of the pilot burning all the time (even when I'm not using the fireplace).. Not only does it make a "24-7" subtle noise like a blow torch sound, but now I'm being told by the company that I have to leave the doors of the fireplace open all the time, even when I'm not burning a fire, because the pilot will go out and needs to breathe. I'm also concerned about also wondering if there is any chance of carbon monoxide issues from this set up.

Unless I want to spend alot of rework money in material and labor and trade in my burner equipment and buy the electronic ignition and a new remote, I am forced to stay with what I have. I also realize that I am the one that made this decision because I was insistent on the luxury of a variable flame which again, was not offered with the electronic ignition.

So, are there any compromises or alternatives, you can think of in this case? What is your experience from a plumbing perspective when considering a standing pilot versus electronic ignition.I guess I could always relight the pilot everytime I want to use the fireplace.

Any feedback would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)