SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Please help arrange porch furniture

2ajsmama
14 years ago

This isn't all of it, I also have 46" wide oak double rocker still in basement that I think DH would like to use, and a slightly smaller (though not by much with the arms) wicker settee that I may put back up on CL. Plus a wicker chest that is about 32"x16" wide x 17" high, I thought of using it as a coffee table but even the little dark table (b/t the 2 chairs at the end of the porch) was too wide to really get by when I put it in front of the settee.

Here's where we had the oak rocker last year (oh and big salt crock for umbrellas by door)

{{gwi:52074}}

settee I'd like to sell - doesn't match anything else

chest

But here is current arrangement - best I could do and still give each seat a view of something other than a column. Please ignore the garland still on the columns. I also want to either paint the orangey tables on either side of the settee white or stain them to match the door, though I won't be doing any more than touching up the wicker so that's all staying white for this year at least. I'm also still looking for 2 more matching cushions.

The porch is 48 ft long, with 8ft wide stairs so 20ft to each side. The settee that is b/t the windows is about 48" long, I tried angling it into corner but there wasn't enough room to fit 2 rockers across from it (rockers are close to 24" wide, with 19-20" wide seats) since porch is only 6'3" to inside of posts. The other end where the railing is looks empty (about 6ft from rocker to railing), but it also gets wet a lot so didn't know about putting wicker there. I do want to put up a trellis/screen of some kind to block the brutal sun. There is roughly 5ft between wicker rocker and door (on either side) I just stuck the wood rocker there, don't need to have that out this summer but I do like it by the door in the fall. Maybe that could go on the sunny end as long as it's not by its lonesome. I couldn't figure out how to group the 2 wicker pieces and the wooden rocker but maybe someone can help. The wicker chair on that end of the porch matches the rocker it's paired with (striped cushions) so I'd kind of like to keep them on the same side of the porch. Thanks.

Comments (26)

• toocolorcrazy
    14 years ago

FIRST - I would spray paint then black or DARK brown.
    I would put the two chairs that are the same height together with the table on one side and do the same on the other side with the sofa. Center the arrangements under the two windows on both sides. There is just TOO many differnt things going on...you have too many differnt chair and colors - so I would try to unify them a little more through height and paint them black to make them a little more "up to date looking"...I would worry about the cushions that match...you can alwasy get new ones.
    Then add some outdoor throw pillows to spice it up.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

rcc, aj said she wasn't going to paint the wicker this year. Too busy making cushions I would imagine. She'll either paint the wood pieces white or stain them to match the door. She was hoping for answers to that question though.
    I like the way you have it now. Seems perfect for conversation. Ladies on the left and the guy on the right. They can always pull over the white wood rocker for extra seating. I thought maybe the wood dbl rocker could go with it's back to the railing, but you said it was too sunny...well-ah I think you just need to get that trellis up and start some fast growing flowing vines to give it some shade.
    As for the tables that's a toughie. You know I prefer stained wood, but in this case it is a porch, so even I lean toward painting them white. Or maybe take a color from the fabric for a bit of fun.

• Related Discussions

Need suggestions on how to arrange furniture on my front porch

Q

Comments (2)
    This is kind of the opposite of symmetry, but do you ever plan on eating out there or having children color or do projects? I have a small table and chairs on my front porch and I love it. Also have one on back porch so I can either follow the sun or avoid it depending on the time of year. I guess I'm suggesting think about how you will use it then choose the furniture. Have fun, Kathy
    ...See More

Too much furniture! Help me arrange my living room please?

Q

Comments (9)
    Holy moly, so many great ideas and feedback here. Thank you all so much! And boo - I spent a lot of time trying to decide on window coverings for those weird skinny windows, LOL. As least they're cheap JC Penney shades and won't hurt too badly when I replace them. I like the dark wood trim and didn't want to cover it up, so that's why I chose those and not curtains. But I heard everyone loud and clear. ;) Storage definitely is an issue with this house - there's exactly none. All the storage space was sacrificed for a big open feel, and even the closets are postage-stamp size. Thus the big old coffee table thing (storage!) and the entertainment center (storage!) and the end table (you guessed it, STORAGE!). I love the Besta idea, though! Didn't even know something that cool existed. I am worried that placing the main seating against the half-wall will put the seated person too far from the TV; I do a lot of gaming so I tend to sit closer for full immersion. I was considering moving the seating way closer to the TV, which would create a big space by the half wall, and then putting a narrow table or something back there, i don't know. I'm so terrible at this stuff, that's why I'm so glad Houzz is a thing! A sectional, huh? How does one find a sectional that doesn't scream 80's media room? Off to google I go... :)
    ...See More

Back Porch: Walls, Flooring, Lighting, and Furniture Arrangement

Q

Comments (4)
    When you change the ceiling/walls is the time to add electrical fixtures/receptacles. Put in one circuit for lighting(15A) and three or more circuits(20A) for receptacles in the new shop area and two in the living area. Best way I've seen to arrange furniture is to make a mock up of area and furniture to scale and 'arrange' the furniture in the space. If that were my porch, I would pour a leveling concrete product and level the floor. Any flooring material other than concrete is going to be difficult to maintain/clean.
    ...See More

Please help with furniture selection/arrangement in new screen porch

Q

Comments (3)
    This is with the table the width of the room. It's hard to get a good shot, but the room is quite large.
    ...See More
  • artlover13060
    14 years ago

I like the arrangement that you have. I vote for painting the tables white to match the chairs, and as Justgottabeme mentioned, add some colorful cushions.

What would you think about placing the two seater on the right end with the back against the railing? I think it would do a nice job of balancing out the furniture on the left.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I also think the arrangement is just right! Now, when and if you get around to painting them, I'd do a pastel green, kind of vintage.

I love the trellis idea, I can see Clematis blooming now. Yum!

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

I'm not sure you can have to much wicker! I love it! I would see how the wicker bench that ajs thinking of selling would look at the far right w/back up to the rail & I'd put that wicker trunk up along the wall close to that bench. Just to see if that could work. As for the wood tables, they could be the same color as the door or maybe if ajs wanted a bolder color, she could pick a color from the pillow fabric for the tables.

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

Sorry ajs, I just reread your post & you said you didn't want to put wicker at the end of the porch where the weather would get to it. I'm sure you won't have a problem selling what you can't use. If you can't find matching pillows, maybe you can get an outdoor fabric that would work with the pillows you do want to use. It would be easy to sew them up.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the cushion fabric isn't bold - the 2 chairs and the settee are the ones I just found at Target, waiting til they get 2 more in stock for the other 2 chairs. After all that agonizing over fabrics, I decided for $10 a cushion I'm not going to make any. The striped cushions came with the chairs, they'll do until I get the Target ones. Maybe I can make a few throw pillows in a brighter fabric (here we go again! Has to be a solid, not a print). But I really need to get a better finish on that antique table (if I'm keeping that out there) and do *something* with the orange tables - painting would be easier than stripping and staining, but I'm only doing it once so either I paint them now (color?) or stain them now, not going to change it again next year.

I don't want to put wicker too close to the railing but I'll try the oak rocker there (again, needs to be painted or at least have finish renewed, in which case I can stain darker at the same time, do it the same as the tables). Just have to get DH to get it out of the basement this weekend. The other wicker settee is *really* off white and I don't want it getting wet - I'd rather sell it. I would *love* to find a white wood (or wooden-looking) porch swing for that spot though...

I pulled the chest out of the closet and put it to the left of the front door. Maybe I can put a big garbage bag in it to store the cushions during storms (though I really should cover the furniture if it's that bad). I can move the 2 tall rockers to the same side, and the short rocker to the side with the short chair, though I hate to break up the one matching set I have, if it looks better to have same height together. But which side should the tall ones go on? The side with the settee? And until I get 2 new cushions the striped cushions have to stay on the chairs they are on now, I can't put a striped cushion on the short rocker that's to the left of the door b/c they're too small for that deep seat. Well, I guess they'd fit both tall rockers, but they're too small for the short rocker and the settee.

So what should I do with the tables (and the oak rocker) - paint (color?) or stain the same color as the door?

I've got lilacs growing at the end of the porch but they'll take a few years to get tall enough to shade, so I'll try to get trellis up. Maybe some potted plants and/or hanging baskets along the front, and a few tall potted palms or something for shade by the railing? How fast does clematis grow, and does it grow in pots LOL?

Oh, and I'm not worried about looking "up to date" - trying to make the house (or at least the porch) look like old farmhouse, so weathered is OK (I won't say Shabby and definitely not chic!), even non-matching cushions may be OK (but I just got these 4 matching b/c I finally found ones that fit!).

• toocolorcrazy
    14 years ago

I apologize...I should not have said "up to date" I guess I just thought something other than white would stand out off the house a little more.
    {{!gwi}}
    The green idea is cute ...
    {{!gwi}}
    What about a french blue grey (weathered looking) for the tables. Glazed with a white...to pull up some of the rock-work colors.

Then keep your throw pillows in the same vein.
    Lots of weathered terracotta and plaster pots full of greenery and flowers.
    They also make outdoor lamps at Target in the summer that are fun to have on a night out with candles and cocktails - if you have outlets on the porch.!

I'd probably put the two tall rockers with the settee and the two shorts ones on the other side....probably having the sofa arrangement furthest from the garage for visual balance. But I am sure you cant go wrong when people are happy to be with you visiting on the front porch!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

tcc, don't worry about saying something wrong as long as your intentions are good. And yours were. Just like I didn't see how the sun shines at the railing end of the porch, it's easy to miss things in the postings. We all get ideas going in our heads for the OP and often forget what they said. I know I do. I hope I didn't sound like I was scolding. I didn't mean to.
    aj, I like the look of differing heights of the furniture. You were right to put them that way in my opinion. Otherwise it would have looked to perfect. Like you said you're going for a country farmhouse look and from the farmers on my Daddy's side of the family comfort and conversation where the important parts of porches.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

toocolorcrazy - that's OK, I was just clarifying that I didn't want to look too coordinated and I used your same words. I was going for what someone called "collected" (meaning over time) look. It is easy to miss every condition an OP puts in a post.

Hmmm, this talk of French blue got me thinking again of making cushions b/c I still love this blue stripe (which I guess is called French ticking?). I only have 3 yds, but I still have a natural that is same color as background on the ticking - so what do you think of blue stripe on the chairs and natural on the settee, with blue striped pillows? If I run out of the stripe, I can always do 1 or 2 rockers in natural and use scraps of blue ticking for throw pillows on those. Plus then I can add red pillows for 4th of July! Just can I use the polyester-stuffed indoor cushions that came with the set and cover them with water-resitstant ticking, or do I have to buy outdoor foam? That's what got me to pick up the Target cushions - foam is so expensive. The egg crate stuff Becky suggested isn't thick or firm enough and I worry about that outdoors too. The natural isn't quite as water-proof, though it does bead up initially it eventually sinks in. I do worry about dirt a little since mitch said even the Sunbrella light colors got spotted, but I'll just have to make them big to allow for shrinkage (polyester)

Oh, and yes I have an outlet b/t the windows on each side of porch. I'll have to look for outdoor lamps. I have some lanterns that use candles.

Thanks everybody!

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

Ohhh! I do like that blue and white stripe with your wicker. I'm a sucker for blue. I think extra pillows made out of that would look awesome - definitely awesome. I take it that all your cushions will be like what is on the 3 pc. set on the left, so the blue and white would work with that. I was looking for ideas for your tables & put patios in the google search bars. The furniture all seemed to match, I was afraid if you painted the tables white it would be too much white. I wish someone could photoshop the tables in different colors for you. But good luck & post pictures when you're done.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The blue just looks so summery and cool to me. I also like how it pulls out the blue from the peastone in the driveway/path. Please excuse the oily-looking patch in the corner (Klingstone adhesive - an experiment to see how it held up to shoveling, which was well, but it doesn't look nice). And the potted mums that spent the winter in the garage, I have to chop them off now. DH wants me to plant them but I don't know where - I used the pots on the porch last fall, if the plants get nice and full again this year that's what I'll do again.

Anyway, about the cushions - the natural looked close to background color of stripe up close, but farther away I see it looks more yellow. Do I need to do all the cushions in blue? I have enough fabric (3 yds) if I do the undersides in the natural.

I'm thinking of returning the "caned" look cushions if my mom will let me tear up her old chaise cushions for the foam/stuffing. Got that idea last night. She gave me her old chaise cushions (2) but they were wrong size so I gave them back, but I'm sure she won't mind if I cut them to fit before I recover them.

• busybee3
    14 years ago

i'm not crazy about the bright white rocker so close to your front door...if you don't want to move the wicker that's to the right of your front door closer to the railing, i would move the rocker down to the right of the chairs/table...to balence it out a bit more.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

ajs, when I mentioned the egg crate I meant to layer it. They fit quite well into each other.
    I am loving the blue stripe. Just gorgeous! If you make boxed cushions using both the off white and stripe you might have enough to do all the cushions. Ya think?

Here is a link that might be useful: How to sew box cushion covers.

• natal
    14 years ago

I love that blue and white stripe fabric! I think the wicker chest looks out of place on the porch. Seems more appropriate for a bedroom.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I like the blue and white too, but with the color of your house it looks washed out. I would go for a bolder print to really set off the furniture.

If you're not using the chest, can you put it in your house? Or mail it to me? :)

• toocolorcrazy
    14 years ago

I did a QUICK photshop image of the porch with the blue and white fabric (which I love)
    Id do like a french blue pillow or some solids to add a punch of color.
    I "painted" the two little tables french grey and left the other one as is.
    Also flopped the arrangement to balance with the garage.
    And finally - you could use the chest in place of the little brown table and make a pad for the top and us it (like the sofa) as a bench with a pillow or two.

Just my two cents! Let us know how it works out

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, that does look great (maybe I should put some of the crushed stone all the way in front of the porch LOL). I'm just a little leary of putting the wicker so close to that end that gets soaked every time it rains, esp. my favorite rocker (even though it needs some work on the back legs).

I know you probably just "invented" the solid blue pillows, but *where* did you find the patterned "fabric"? Please tell me it's fabric - it's perfect!

I really need to hang some baskets up too - was just telling my dad last night they'd give some shade from the front - he suggested blinds!

Thanks so much for PSing this for me - I found more of the beige "caned" pattern cushions on sale at Target yesterday (I ran in for rain check but they had them). But after seeing this, I *have* to use the stripe!

We're going to put white vinyl up under the deck and close off the stair risers too it's been sitting in my basement all winter, now it's warm enough to put it up so I'll be calling my cousin to ask if he can do it some weekend.

DH didn't get the oak double rocker out of the basement yesterday - we were trying to get the driveway fixed up from plowing (and picking stones out of the lawn that got thrown there from plowing/shoveling). Should we even bother getting it out? I still want him to get the big salt crock out - last year used it (occasionally - most people come in garage) for umbrellas. Maybe I should look for a glass top for it and use it instead of the little dark table? It's a little taller than the wood tables.

Maybe we'll haul them out today and take more pics.

• natal
    14 years ago

he suggested blinds!

May not be a bad idea. Have no clue how many hours a day the sun would be in your eyes, but it can be a real pain in the butt. We had a similar scenario on our screened porch. The shade trees I planted still aren't mature enough to offer relief, so we hung bamboo shades to cut the glare in late afternoon/early evening.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I didn't think blinds (esp. the old roll-up kind, but even bamboo) would look very "farmhouse". And with 40 ft of frontage, too $$$.

Didn't get stuff out of the basement, but did stop at Lowes and get some (interior) Valspar satin paint sample cans, 1 "oops" can for 50 cents in a light gray, 1 mixed in Blue Twilight ($3). I figured maybe if I put the exterior clear coat I have on my front door over it, it would hold up? They didn't have any exterior sample cans, and I didn't need a quart just for 2 tables. I *do* have more than 1/2 gallon of SW Duration exterior acrylic in Super White, if I use that to "glaze" it, would that help durability?

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

Love the photoshopped pic of your porch, and the ferns and hanging baskets just finish it off. (Good job toocolorcrazy!) ajsmama - You know what works on the porch and if you need to reverse the larger grouping to the left of the door, you'll do that. Can you use the wood rockers inside your house? Very inviting porch you have. I know what you mean about stones in the yard. I have a bunch too and wondering if I really have to rake them up! ugh

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

aj, any wood left outside for the season is going to need redoing now and then so if you have interior paint in the color you want then go for it. With two or three exterior clear coats on top they should weather fairly well. And with you going for the farm house look a bit of age will look just fine. Perfectly imperfect.
    Oh and did you see the boxed cushion cover tutorial? You think you could do that?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH said he read to use the Shop Vac to get all the stones out of the lawn - after the kids and I have spent hours picking them out by hand! Oh well, maybe we'll try it next year. Though I'd think it wouldn't be too good for the Shop Vac. I left the ones close to edge for DH to rake back into the driveway, just picked up the ones hidden in the grass 10 ft out!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, BTW Becky, I *did* get my mom's old cushions, the fabric is faded and turning to dust (all over my clothes) on one side from UV but hopefully the stuffing/foam is OK - she said even when she left them out in the rain they never seemed to hold water. But your box cushion instructions lost me at "pull thread and square the fabric" LOL. I don't know if I can do welting.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

OH I do hope the cushions work for you. Sorry about the instructions. Didn't you take sewing in school? I know you are younger than me so maybe that wasn't recommended. But then I had my Mom's and aunts giving me tips to. The three of them had all worked in garment factories and knew many tricks.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

It really looks like pale on pale - no punch. I'd paint the wicker furniture black and put lime green cushions on the furniture and I'd get different tables or paint them another color.