SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayceefl

First Timer...Cabinets????

Kay M
13 years ago

I am a first time poster...long time lurker. Thank you in advance for the advice posted here. I gained so much knowledge in my layout and applicance decisions in reading posts and searches before even reaching this point. And the point we are at now is that the layout is final and the countertops is purchased (Blue Pearl GT granite, which was the first purchase two months ago because the hubby fell in love with it). Over the past two months, we have consulted with a good dozen local KDs and been quoted on a number of various cabients. Up until this past weekend, we avoided the big-box stores. We really liked a door style from Armstrong (Leighton), but for some reason, the local rep took a week to revise our quote every time we made a change and a sample of a new finish is not even available. So although the 2 quotes we received for this door (in maple, all wood) were quite good, in order to finalize things (and perhaps even choose a finish), this could go on for months. Also got a decent quote on Debut and Wellborn, but weren't impressed with that KD's showroom (his craftmanship left a lot to be desired). So this past weekend we went to the big-boxes after reading on here that HD was running some of their specials on KraftMaid. Got quoted on Thomasville because the KD at HD said their special was even better and he preferred the quaility (again, could just be what they are pushing at the moment, but I did like the fact they included soft close doors and loved the Blakely, door in Cherry, chocolate finish, all wood). Stay with me here...sorry if I'm rambling. We were also quoted on the KraftMaid at LWES, which did come in slightly less, but in Maple and didn't love the door style. However, both quotes were slightly higher than every quote I received from local KDs. Although the Thomasville quote is a cherry wood with soft close doors and a couple "accessories" I didn't expect. Sooo...my questions are:

a) Anyone have Thomasville and what are your thoughts/opinioins?

b) I understand that Cherry is a harder wood..thus better

for cabinetry? I do understand that it darkens with age.

c) The hubby and I loved the look of the Blue Pearl GT with Thomasville's chocolate stain on the Blakely Cherry Door, but we are no designers. I do realize the white cabinets are "in" and that the general rule is lighter cabinets with darker counters, but we like the darker look (not too contemporary, more "transitional" look?). Our kitchen has plenty of light and a sky light and will be open once we knock out a wall. Plus the Blue Pearl GT granite has a lot of reflection (wish I could post a picture, but I am a bit pc challenged). Opinions on color choices? The floors (pale mauve tile from 1988) are awful, but will not be changed until some later since I can only make so many decions at once!!! lol

d) From your perspective, is the slightly higher cost for the Thomasville worth it for the Cherry wood, soft close cabinets and the extra accesories (about 15% more, install included, etc.). And the fact that we would be dealing with a big-box, which we were trying to avoid.

I am attempting to post a link to the cabinet below (although it doesn't do it justice). Thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomasville Blakely in Cherry Chocolate Finish

Comment (1)

• jalsy6
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I recently purchased and installed Thomasville cabinetry about 6 weeks ago, I got the Linden door style in maple pearl. I couldn't find much on GW about Thomasville, but we took advantage of the great savings, and feel that we got a tremendous deal. The cabinets are beautiful, high quality in my estimation (of course, not to be compared to custom...they are what they are). The finish is so far very durable, and I have four children - not gentle at all. Our KD was very responsive, and the only minor 'issue' we had was that the sink base didn't have the soft close mechanisms upon delivery. He had them shipped and we had them within 3 days. We installed ourselves, so I can't speak to their install, but overall we are very happy with both product and service. I know other GWers have had different experiences with big box stores..
    The door is beautiful - we were torn between cherry and painted, ultimately went for painted.
    I'll try to post a picture later, but there's still lots to do before my kitchen makes it to the FKB...
    :)best of luck

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!