SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

What are some ideas about what a manly bathroom should look like?

cupofkindness
14 years ago

I am renovating two bathrooms. I've talked a little bit on this forum about the girls bathroom renovation. It will be black and white (black floor and granite, white tub, sinks, toilet, vanity cabinets) with damask wallpaper and pale pink accents. Four girls share this bathroom.

But turning to the bathroom for my sons, I need a little help choosing the look. But part of it's in place, so I do have some parameters. This is a small bathroom. We started it five years ago, but life happened so we stopped. Now, we really need to finish it. In 2005 we installed a white Kohler Memoirs pedestal sink, matching toilet, chrome faucets, and a Solatube in the ceiling (no window). The shower (no tub) is a neo-angle that is walled in and has an opaque door. It is in the corner between the sink and toilet. The tile is white. Very simple. The flooring is what was leftover from my kitchen reno, it's a golden oak colored vinyl plank floor called "Priory Oak" from Amtico. I should add that the shower was redone poorly by someone utterly unqualified to do it, so that will probably have to come out in a few years once it starts to fail. Since that time we've hired a real tile craftsman to build concrete shower in the master bath. That one will be good forever. Back to my sons' bathroom, I also need a fairly large medicine cabinet with a masculine look, which probably means some sort of wood frame, to install over the wide Kohler pedestal sink.

There is one built-in 12" deep by 24" high wall cabinet above the toilet, it's real oak and has a curly-Q bottom edge. It's nice enough to keep and is original to the house. Plus it matches the flooring color-wise and wood-wise. My sons who use this bathroom are 19, 17 and 8 years old. So the hardest wear and tear years are over, one is in college and the next son will be away in about a year and a half (sniff!). The walls have the remnants of wall paper partially torn off, and there was cheap basement-quality wainscot paneling that we toook down as well when we removed the crummy sink/vanity that was only, like two feet tall (my son is 6'6"). The walls are in very bad condition and need a lot of work. Perhaps we should rip out the walls and put in new dry wall. I don't know.

If we can ever afford to renovate our master bathroom, I'll install traditional looking cherry cabinetry to match our b/r furniture. But that's a long way off, we need to get everyone through college first.

So what is being done in more manly bathrooms? Any cutesy themes are definitely "out" .... gone are our sailboat or seashore or dinosaur (or whatever other little boy theme a bathroom might take on) days. I'm looking for a classic design to match the rest of our traditional house, but with colors that are a little different from what's happening in the other bathrooms. What colors look good? What are your decorating ideas?

I'd love links to pictures as well. Thanks so much for your help.

~Cupofkindness

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath