SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cortlin_gw

Gas hot water heater/tank

cortlin
14 years ago

I currently have a rental gas powered hot water heater it is 40 gallons and i now find out is from 1982. Recently we have been running out of hot water half way through a shower. I called in the company i rent it through to repair it. Afte rhe left i was left with an unfixed water heater and more questions then answers. It might help to mention then i just recently bought this house and that the furnace is right beside the heater and is gas powered as well. They are both currently vented together through a brick chimney with an a proximatly 5.75 inch vent. According to the repair man by code the pipe has to be 6inches and to his standards it is only a 5inch pipe. is this true? He recomend that i purchase an electric hot water heater and run it to my braker pannel, but with the price of hydro i am hesitant. I would prefer to keep it gas. Is this guy wrong? Should i call for another opinion? I would think that since the furnace was new in 2005 that the pipes conecting it to the hot water heater and going up the chimney would be up to code, am i wrong?

Any information would be very helpful!!!

Comments (2)