SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

dryer vent seal / safety question

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

First, I am an idiot! I want to be SAFE and end up making things worse I guess. So now I ask you guys...

1) Our dryer is in our unfinshed basement. When we moved in 2 years ago I noticed a bunch of lint mixed with with the fiber glass insulation batts where the dryer vent exits the house by the rim joist. I immediatley disconnected to loose plastic vent hose and installed a ridgid metal one with 2 - 90 degree bends on each end. This vent was bought at HD and was the type you sort of had to roll into a tube shape and snap together...I remember that was chore itself...for me anyway! I had always heard that platic was unsafe to use metal and I wanted to make sure everything was safe! Well. I actually needed 2 sections of pipe to run from the floor (bottom of dryer) out the rim joist, say 7.5 feet. I assembled the to pieces, slid them into each other and secured them with 2 screws. I am now being told to removed the screws because the can catch lint and become a fire hazard! Ok, if I remove the screws, what is the exact type of tape I am suppse to use to insure the pipes do not slip apart? I assume it must be some sort of fireproof tape since those pipes get hot....

2) I notice a draft in the dryer area by the ceiling. Can I spray foam the area where the duct leaves the house? Again, the pipes get hot. If yes, is there a specific foam type I should use? I also have some black fireproof chimney stuff but the foam would be easier to work with.

3) Whenever we open the dryer door cold air spews out! We have the old fashion metal flapper outside the house. Air evedently is getting. Is there a better, again SAFE, product that would stop that air from getting into the dryer from the outside?

Thanks all!!!!

Comments (15)