SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

coughing dog

scryn
15 years ago

hi, we have a vet apt. tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone else saw similar symptoms in their dog.

We have a 5 yr old corgi and he has been coughing. He has always done it since we adopted him (maybe a cough here and there, nothing often. Maybe once a week at most) but now it is more frequent. When we first adopted him it seemed to be associated w/ him munching on grass so i always thought it was a piece stuck in his throat, tickling it.

He has been doing it at least 2 times a day now for the last couple of days which is why we are going to the vet. It is usually a series of maybe 4-5 coughs where it sounds like he is trying to cough up sputum or something. Then he stops. He seems very normal besides that. He eats and plays like normal and hasn't been near other dogs. Our other dog is not coughing at all. They both take heartworm meds year round.

He doesn't always cough after running around. It seems to happen at different times. Sometimes he is walking around or sometimes he is running. He ran around and Frapped in the yard yesterday for a while and this did not induce a coughing fit.

I did notice about two weeks ago he had a runny nose. We have had a very bad allergy season. Does anyone think his cough could be allergy related? I am not exactly sure how the vet will diagnose this because he doesn't cough that often so I don't think he will cough when he is in the office with the vet.

Will the vet listen to his heart and lungs and maybe do a blood test?? Is there anything else that I can watch for today that would be useful for the vet to know??

I read in my Dog book it could me lung worms. I don't think it would be kennel cough because he hasn't been near any other dogs. I have never heard of lung worms. Is this common? We had him in for his yearly checkup about 3 months ago and the vet said his heart was very healthy sounding and his lungs were fine.

thanks!

-rj

Comments (5)