SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

4ft slab trench - how hard for a pro? how risky in an old house?

User
10 years ago

We have a very narrow galley kitchen that runs length-wise in our home and basically functions as a corridor between the entry/front-facing rooms to the much-used living and dining rooms in the back of the house. Our home is on a slab, and the sink is on an interior wall right now, which makes it tricky to come up with a layout that is better for traffic (right now the aisle is 38" counter to counter.)

As I've talked to contractors about renovating, several have suggested that moving the sink to the exterior wall would not be very difficult or time-consuming since it would be literally 4 feet from the current drain in the slab. Then yesterday I met with a kitchen designer who said he would do anything possible to avoid touching the slab of a 60 year old house.

I don't know how to weigh this contradictory advice. We're cautious by nature. And we've learned the hard way that at least one of the contractors I was dealing with was not reliable. But the move would net me about 10-12 additional inches for the main kitchen aisle, and since this is heavily travelled, that would be a big improvement.

BTW the house was significantly renovated and expanded twice in the 1980s and the plumbers we've had in here say that the basic infrastructure seems in good shape (ie., no ancient corroding main stack or anything.)

And also, just to be clear: NOTHING will be a DIY (no skills!) and everything will be done by pros, with permits & per regs.

I've posted the basic first-floor layout below. Thanks for any advice!!

Comments (5)