SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mashed_gw

macerator

mashed
17 years ago

I've just bought a place with an attic conversion bathroom. And once we flushed the toilet we discovered the problem. The toilet outpipe is connected to the vent pipe from the downstairs toilet, which is a narrower diameter than the toilet outlet, so it blocks.

I've thought of installing a macerator unit but there's a hitch. The toilet connects to the vent pipe about 18 inches below the top of the vent, so I'm worried that with a macerator the sewerage would be pumped up the vent pipe and onto the roof, rather than down the vent pipe. So, I could connect it further down the vent pipe, but the vent pipe is installed in the wall cavity, which means I'd have to break into the wall to connect the macerator outlet to the vent pipe.

Anyone got a suggestion? I thought maybe I could just insert the macerator pipe (about 1 inch) into and down inside of the vent pipe (about 4 inches diameter) for about 5-6 feet, and seal the entry point of the pipe to prevent the odours from the vent pipe entering the roof cavity where they would join. Is this ridiculous? Should I just break into the wall and join them further down?

Help!!

Comments (2)