SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elly_nj

Dog Park Vent

Elly_NJ
13 years ago

I have been bringing my Wilbur to a local dog park. I usually go at 5pm, and I know the owners and dogs.

Wilbur is well trained and gentle. He is exuberant, careful and appropriate with other dogs. He readily rolls when appropriate and never tries to dominate another dog. The few times he's had a run-in with another dog, he does not defend himself; he lays passive if he is attacked.

I went early today, and there was a Brittany across the park (a good football field in size) with another larger dog. Wilbur came in and stood and peered at the dogs; the Brittany came forward, and Wilbur tried to read him. He looked friendly, so they both ran to each other, Wilbur doing his rocking horse puppy run.

The Brittany attacked him, snarling and growling, stood over Wilbur, and got him by the throat. I tried to push him off, fell, and he went again for Wilbur (who was larger than the Brittany). The owner, from across the field, called his dog, but I had to finally stand between them.

I walked away, planning to leave. The owner (an older man) called that he was leaving. I had Wilbur leashed by then, and waited; the Brittany again charged, and by then I had a spray bottle of water, which I squirted in his face, and that deterred him, but he kept coming back.

Here is the conversation I had with his owner when he finally approached. He made no attempt to leash his dog, and had no conrtol over the dog by command.

Stupid Pet Owner: How old is your dog?

Me: 15 months

SPO: Oh, that's why. He's young. (Still has not leashed his dog. I am standing in front of Wilbur) I'm leaving.

Me: Your dog attacked my dog.

SPO: No, that's how dogs communicate.

Me: Your dog attacked my dog. That's not communication; that's aggression.

SPO: No, that's how they interact.

Me: I train dogs; I know how they are supposed to behave.

SPO: Did he hurt your dog? How can he hurt him? He's smaller than him!

I started to walk away, not wanting to have a conversation anymore. He started abusing me, cursing me, telling me that if I unleashed my dog, there would not have been a problem.

Me: He was unleashed; your dog attacked him.

He cursed me some more; I cursed back and walked away.

????????????????????????????????

What is up with that kind of stupidity?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!