SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Removing just-installed granite countertops--is that possible?

loves2read
13 years ago

My friend has just done some remodeling in her kitchen--wallpaper removed, wall textures, painting, backsplash all that work has gone fine...

The granite is another story

Her step-daughter is married to guy who builds small office complexes--2 or 3 units at a time--from dirt all the way up--and he has built custom homes in past as well...

He does a good job--pays attention to detail and holds his contractor to high standard--because he wants his money's worth but because he also takes pride in quality product...

He sent her to granite showeroom he has used before. She picked some Uba Tuba green slabs--

Fabricator told her she needed 3 slabs to do her kitchen counters (3 runs + an island) and also a long raised bar countertop and a separate counter in the breakfast area for a built-in breakfront.

They made the templates--found out one inside corner of the counter run where the long bar would sit was not plumb--but said they could adjust for that...

Came back Friday to do the install--just two guys--and not the salesman/foreman who did the templates--

She had decided to widen the bar top more than the formica counter--and they told her she would have to have added support--

They said corbels or steel strips--she took the steel because she did not want to give up space to the corbels..

They apparently did not show her any photos of what it would look like after

She thought the support stips would be notched into the top of the bar between the bar top and the granite so the steel strip would be FLUSH with the sheetrock/wood framing...AND I think they expected the granite to be notched as well--so that the bar was flush with the granite's bottom...so all 3 surfaces were flat...seamless really

That is not what happened (of course)

and the installers made a real mess on the underside--

there are shims in various thicknesses to make the granite countertops level along that length of bar--

3 stacked in one place, two in another--one someplace else and so on

and then the steel supports are lying between the counter top and the granite

so they make MORE of a fissure--not less

Sitting on the couch in the family room and looking that way you can see how uneven and cluttered the bottom of the granite bartop is...a hazard if you are sitting at the bar or run your hand underneath it

We went to see the kitchen today when it was supposedly "finished"

I had been there Friday too when they were installing the granite and was not really that impressed..thought the seams were wide and some of them looked uneven..

one was chipped at the edge like the saw blade was rough

and found one section of the bar's edge that seemed uneven

did not really check all the runs/work like I did when mine was redone...so can't really speak to anything except the area along the bar...but was surprised that it seemed so slipshod...

she was upset with how the supports were done but did not really seem upset about the seams or other details...

she said her SIL said they could come back Monday including the salesman/contractor and take off the granite countertops and make it better...

without really telling her how they would do that...

The bar top has at least 2 sections to it--maybe 3...

can they really take that off w/o screwing them up worse than now--

I just think they did not plan the templates that well either--because they used so much granite--think they might have had her overbuy to their advantage--vs spending time to lay out the templates several ways and try to get them all out of two slabs...

and this was an Uba Tuba green--so there is no grain to match or reverses to avoid like with some granite choices...

The only LONG run w/o a seam is the one for the breakfast breakfront--that is probably 7 ft or more

but the rest are 3 to 4 ft long--

and no backsplashes either...

I had three slabs of Venetian Gold for my remodel and got 3 kitchen counter sections (shorter runs) but with a 6 ft bartop, counters for 2.5 baths, some backsplashes, AND a large wet bar in a gameroom that has a 3ft/6ft L bar section done in one piece...

plus I got a remnant that was 4 ft...big enough for an outdoor kitchen counter

She has only paid 50% of the price --

so she has some leverage plus the fact that her SIL still does business with them--he is getting ready to start another project--

but just don't see how people who could not do a good job the first time can make it better the second time around...

Can they remove that bar countertop without damaging it in doing so?

How are the steel plates/strips that are used for support actually added to the base cabinet frame?

Are they recessed by notching the structure to fit flush when the granite is laid on top?

Comments (2)