SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

which layout do you think is better?

remodel-mama
14 years ago

Hi all,

Ok, I still need to work out some other issues (like whether to have a soffit or do stacked cabinets), but in the meantime, I would love your input which of the two plans you think will work better:

Option #1 - original plan

Option #2 - corner sink

I have asked the KD to provide some add'l cabinet options for above the sink if do a corner sink. I know there is enough room to do dishes with the cabinets as drawn, but I think I would want the cabinet raised, or to have open shelves, above the sink (to give the feeling of more space). Thanks everyone!

Comments (18)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

What are the dimensions and/or sizes of each cabinet?

Is that a 36" corner susan in the first plan?

What size sinks in each?

Without add'l information, I would say the first plan b/c it has more counter space for the Prep Zone.

What are you planning for the large amount of counterspace to the right of the range? It's not a good place for a Prep Zone b/c it's too far from a water source...

The second plan would work better if you moved the range to the right 18" to 24".

I also like the all drawers look (and convenience) of the first plan better.

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Buehl - thanks for your input, unfortunately, I don't have all the detailed dimensions...

On the corner Susan in the first plan - I think it's a pretty small one, but I don't have the exact size (do they come as small as 18"?).

I also think that the sink might be smaller in the first option - the KD said she used a 30" sink base, which I assume means the sink is smaller (?). I think option #2 allows for a 30" sink.

But the sink in the first option could be bigger if we get rid of the corner Susan. Here is a revised version of Option #1:

I agree that the space to the right of the range is a bit of a "dead zone" - but since the kitchen is completely open to the dining room, I thought it would be nice to have the range centered on that wall and the wall cabinets be symmetrical.

Here is a pic of the dining room, just to give you a better sense of the space (the coffers will be painted white, we wil have french doors instead of the two middle windows and paint the existing cabinets and change the hardware):

The main idea with the corner sink was to try to spread things out -- especially the frige, dw, sink. But option #1 allows for a better prep space between the sink and the range.

thanks again for your input!

• riverspots
    14 years ago

Gee-I'd rather work in #2 (maybe with a more head room). I would find it easier to stack veggies,etc. to the left of the sink, wash, and then place to the right of the sink for chopping. In #1, there isn't enough standing space to the right of the sink for the counter space that's in the corner to be usable except for storage. And it's now a step (as opposed to a turn) to move the washed veggies to the chopping area (if that's where you intend to chop.) If you'll be chopping on the island, there's not much difference between #1 and #2.

• jimandanne_mi
    14 years ago

Without having measurements or a layout of what rooms are adjacent, it's hard to know what's best. But I don't care for either layout, because of all that wasted space to the right of the range. You don't have to have symmetry on such a long wall, as long as you have balance.

It looks like there's enough space to have the sink and range on the long wall. So I'd try moving the range to the right, put the sink to the right of the lazy susan, and have a nice long prep space between the fridge and sink.

Or reverse the appliances and put the fridge on the right end of the long wall, then the sink, and put the range on the short wall.

It really depends on the layout of the eating areas and traffic patterns.

Anne

• rjr220
    14 years ago

I am not an expert, and defer to Buehl and the others -- but what pops out to me first is the relationship b/t the DW, frig and the island. How often do you use your DW, and do you open the door of it to let the dishes air dry? If so, and you want to get to the frig, you're going to need to close the DW or walk around the island. It's simular to the situation I have now in my "old" kitchen, and worked to eliminate it.
    I would also consider getting a wall-mounted hood rather than an undercabinet vent -- the cabinet space above the undercabinet ones are relatively useless . . .
    Just something to consider.

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your input everyone.

rjr220 - when you say a wall-mounted hood, do you mean a cabinet style hood that you buy insert for? Or do you mean a chimney style hood?

For now, I am planning to use a Brillia hood
    (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11329206&search=brillia&Mo=3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=brillia&Ntt=brillia&No=0amp;Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)

Here is the layout of our main for our main floor (on the right):

• sclee
    14 years ago

Hi. Not sure if this is an option for you. Can you switch the placement of the sink and the stove? I have that configuration and like it a lot. More room for the sink area and you can move the dishwasher to the side of the sink. If that's not an option, the only comment I have abt the corner sink is what my painter told me. She has a corner sink and hates it! Too crowded etc .. Also, try to get bigger cabinet so that you can accomodate a 30" sink.

• wdstkdaisy
    14 years ago

I could study this more carefully, but superficially, the 2nd design seems better (sink closer to range). Are you left handed? Why the dishwasher to the left of the sink?

• rtorgy1
    14 years ago

I actually like the corner sink in this plan, I wouldn't like the sink being that close to the fridge, I think it is a bit crowded looking.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I agree that the counterspace to the right of the sink is outside the work zones and is unlikely to be utilized. I don't care for the DW and stove being right next to each other... There is a fair amount of square footage in the kitchen but the fridge/microwave/DW/sink is all crowded into one run. I don't have an immediate resolution for it, but it seems you currently have a kitchen layout that would work in a footprint half the size, (minus the island).

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Not loving the corner sink; it's too close to the stove, and can be restricting when you have only one sink--no one else can get in.

I wonder if your layout would work better completely flipped--the fridge all the way to the right, the sink (with window) where the stove is, with the DW to the right of the sink, and the range on the shorter wall. But that would entail some footwork with venting, and you might also want paneled appliances facing the DR.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Taking others' suggestions into account....what about something like this...

• bobb_2010
    14 years ago

I vote for #2, and make a corner hanging cab too. Gives a more "copit" feel.

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks buehl and bobb_2010 for your input.

Beuhl - I like your plan. It makes a lot of sense and spreads things out while still leaving a good amount of counter space between the stove and the sink. The main issue is the DH really doesn't want the frige along the back wall - so not sure if he will go for this layout.

I'll let you know what we end up doing!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Who works in the kitchen the most...in particular, prepping & cooking?

Not to cause trouble, but if your DH doesn't do most of the prepping & cooking and you do, I think you need to talk to him about what works in the kitchen vs what he wants. To me, the most important thing is to have a truly functional kitchen that's easy and a pleasure to work in.

Is it an access issue? In either position, the refrigerator is easily accessed by those outside the kitchen w/o interfering with those working inside the kitchen.

Is it b/c he doesn't want to see a refrigerator from the DR? I'd rather see a refrigerator than a range or sink...the refrigerator won't be cluttered w/cooking paraphernalia or dirty dishes... [To me, though, it doesn't matter if I see any of the three...but if I were trying to decide which, I'd pick refrigerator, then range (fit it's a nice range setup), then sink. If the range isn't a nice setup, then it would be a toss up b/w range & sink.]

What's more important? Function or Form?

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Could the fridge be placed opposite the original position if you made the opening to the sunroom and to the dining room slightly smaller? It would not have set down space next to it but it would be right behind it.

It may not work, I am just seeing where else it might go if having it along the back elevation is objectionable. It puts it in a traffic pattern to the sunroom, but how major is that path?

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Okay, if I am reading your plans correctly, the long wall is an outside wall and the short wall is interior? If that is correct, I guess I am wondering why you don't have the lineup that was mentioned earlier of the frig on the far right end, then sink underneath a window, DW and the range on the short wall?? Having natural light in the kitchen versus coming from another room is so much nicer.

I also agree with a previous poster in not wasting your money on cabinets around the vent hood but to go for a wall chimney type of vent. Will break up the line of upper cabinet boxes you currently have. When you stand in the middle of the space that is the combination dining room and kitchen, well to me, it feels visually very heavy in the kitchen compared to your nice wall of built ins on the dining room side.

I do disagree with Buehl on her suggested arrangement tho. I tried walking thru the steps of making a meal and thought there was lots of double steps. Your style might be different, so I do recommend using the meal making process as a way to help determine how things are placed.

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Buehl: You are right - I am the one who does most of the prep and cooking; although DH definitely helps. He just doesn't want to see the frige when you walk in the house and from the DR (but if you sit at the end of the DR table near the french doors, you'll see the frige anyway.)

earth_pal: there are no windows in the kitchen -- I know -- it sounds scary. I am hoping that we will get a lot of natural light from the dining room and the sunroom. I will think through the meal process - that's a good idea.

palimpsest: we tried to get the frige on that side and I think we actually found room, but it boxed in the kitchen even more and made it feel too small for an island. We can't move the stairs because it impacts our plans for the lower level (a family room, home office, bath, laundry...)

This process has been a bit frustrating since we justfigured out that we could have done the layout that we originally wanted, but that our architect said wouldn't work for various structural reasons... anyway, I am trying to get over that, move on, and do the best with what we have. I love the house and it is definitely a huge improvement from where we are now.

The other option - which I think I have explored here before - is to simply switch the sink/dw and the range (and leave the frige in the left corner). But it scares me to have the sink as the "focal point" along the back wall, since we both work f/t, have two kids and... dirty dishes.

Thanks everyone for your input.