SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Stain or paint - best option with existing counters and floor?

User
10 years ago

Hi,
I've been trying to plan a kitchen refresher on a budget. I need some helping eyes as I'm really struggling with what is the best option for what I need to work with.

The wood valance over the window will go and we'll add a light. We'll be replacing the appliances to stainless (looking at GE Cafe) and the counter and floor have to stay. The counters are two shades of brown, black, gray, and white that is really a very pale gray when you look close. The floors are browns, gray, and a similar grayish cream. Both the counter and flooring have a PINK undertone. - At least they coordinate together I suppose. The pink undertone eliminates using any shade of yellow or orange which is why my current cabinets clash.

My dream kitchen would be rich stained cabinets, LIGHT counters, light backsplash, wood floors. So I was set on staining the cabinets with General Finishes Brown Mahogany gel stain,painting walls BM Muslin or BM Shaker Beige to tie in the pinky brown, removing existing backsplash and replacing with bb and painting it the same as walls. I was uncertain if I was going to stain the island or paint it perhaps something like BM Kendall Charcoal.

If this were someone else's kitchen my advice would be paint it. It would add contrast that I crave and seems to make sense with the counter and floor colors.

If I paint the cabinets the issue becomes what color. I like white with black and feel cream looks better with brown, but I need to pay attention to undertones. I could rattle on and on, but I want people to actually read this. :)

My kitchen - my counters tend to look gray in some photos but they're brown and you don't see the gray unless you're staring at the colors in it.
Pic showing current hardware. - remember the wood valance will go.
{{gwi:1539895}}
Older pic, but you can see the tops of the cabinets.
{{gwi:1708099}}
Other side of the room. The table will stay. The tile is a beige with pink undertone (similar to BM Bradstreet Beige). The rug stays, chairs will be recovered, and art can go.
{{gwi:1708100}}
Showing counter and floor.
{{gwi:1636255}}

I think the colors in this kitchen look really nice together. I think I'd like a tad more contrast with the wall color though.
{{gwi:1708101}}
{{gwi:1708102}}
{{gwi:1708103}}

Here's a photo showing the stain I was going to use - General Finishes Brown Mahogany over oak. She has lovely LIGHT counters.
Tntw
{{gwi:1708104}}

A photo showing stained cabinets with pinky brown counter and flooring. Honestly the stain in this photo seems a little lacking in richness.
{{gwi:1708105}}

This will be a DIY job either way. If painting it won't be sprayed, however, I do know how to properly paint and would use quality products, but it's still not going to be completely bullet proof. I'd strongly consider filling the grain if I paint since it's the kitchen.

What's the best option with my existing counters and floor?
Thank you!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 3:18

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County