SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sgoldfield

If we were single, we'd marry our steam oven

sgoldfield
15 years ago

Thanks to a lot of helpful information here on Gardenweb we have been super happy with our kitchen (new home build) since moving in Dec. 19. Want to provide some feedback for others now, especially about the steam oven which was a purchase we made with a LOT of trepidation.

We have a Kitchenaid 30" Steam Assist oven and absolutely adore it. Just a week after moving in, we threw a stuffed turkey in there and prayed Christmas dinner would turn out ok. It came out absolutely gorgeous, tender, and done in 2 1/2 hours, when it would have taken 4 and a half in our old electric oven. We've experimented with breads, other baked goods, pizza (awesome), fresh vegetables (asparagus rocks our world with only a little sea salt), pot roast, casseroles, and find we use the steam feature often and that it improves many of the things we cook in quality and speed. No problems with reliability or noise, its worst trait is a bit slow to preheat (when needed). And its pretty to boot! We've largely had to experiment our way along with it though, it has only the most basic recipe info. It has a proofing and warming feature as well as convection or regular baking so it could be the only oven you ever need. Well, except....

We also went for the GE Advantium 120V wall installation to be our primary microwave and overflow oven. If you don't do much oven cooking, or were very space constrained, this could also be the one oven you'd ever need. We use it about 90% microwave, and 10% overflow from the oven or warming drawer or broiler. It heats up quicker than the Kitchenaid and its smaller dimension makes it ideal for quickly and efficiently warming up leftovers or acting as a warming drawer or broiler so we do use it as an oven more often than I'd expected to. From the day we flipped the switch on, everyone has found it easy to program and it has some cool microwave functions like "melt". We have it installed in an undercounter location at our island, and had a tiny service issue not long after installation (installation problem) and no one blinked about its location, warranty honored no problem.

A couple of other things we've ended up really liking: We had our contractor cut two openings on the backside of our chopping block to hold stainless metal restaurant bins which we use to catch trimmings, to hold finished veggies or meat to be carried over to the stove, to grate cheese into, and even have used it on taco night as the place for salsa and toppings. We have plastic clear lids for the bins, and extras in a drawer so we can just slip out the dirty bin and replace it with a clean one. Each bin cost us about $5 with the lid. They come different depths and widths so it could be a retrofit/remodel item too.

We also have liked the two granites we picked out: Cambrian Antiqued Black, and Santa Cecilia. The black is low key and although it shows some dust, its easy to clean and gets lots of compliments for its leather-like texture and depth. The Santa Cecilia covers up all cooking spatters almost too well, I've trained myself to wipe it after cooking there because if I look at it to see if its dirty I'd probably miss most of the mess.

Two things not so great: Our island is too deep for anyone to reach all the way across and is very hard to keep clean or utilize effectively for more than just piling stuff. And we inserted in-baseboard under cupboard pull out steps in two locations because I am short (4'11") and I don't use the steps at all. They are hard to reach and wobbly to stand on.

Hope this helps anyone with similar interests!

Susan

Comments (21)