SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Anyone have a bed under a sloped ceiling like this??

amykath
12 years ago

My boyfriend is preparing to stage his house for sale in Seattle. I do not have a picture of his master but the one below is nearly exactly the same shape.

I was thinking of pulling his bed a bit away from the sloped wall in order to add a headboard and decent side tables. The room does allow space to do this but I wanted your opinions or suggestions.

It is the master and I want it to be elegant and cozy.

Remember this is NOT the room...just similiar in the layout.

TIA!!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (46)

• karinl
    12 years ago

I have a bedroom in an attic, and the problem with positioning the bed this way is that you can't sit up in it to read or have coffee in bed. Not that that matters in a staging, except that in this picture, the ceiling is so low that it makes me uncomfortable just to look at - it is like mentally bumping my head. It's not the lack of headboard that bothers me, but the fact that being in that bed looks uncomfortable.

So for me, it would depend on the height of the bed relative to the slope of the ceiling and height of the shoulder wall.

I hate beds that are along a wall because it is so hard to make them. Bt it looks nicer, and leaves you headroom, so that is what we have done upstairs. You can also run the bed along the wall and put a nightstand between it and the wall, which allows you access to tuck sheets if you stay bent over :-) and also puts the bed under a slightly higher part of the ceiling.

So much depends on the size of the room.

Karin L

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I think pulling out and doing some sort of head board would be the best idea - as long as it leaves enough room to manuever around without feeling more cramped. I like the headboard idea because I love to read in bed and if I saw the set up in your picture, I would assume I couldn't do that and it would be a no go for me. Many like to read or watch tv in bed.

• Related Discussions

Im gonna start a gallica bed anyone like Belle de crecy?

Q

Comments (14)
    A suggestion. Own-root Gallicas can be planted in the following manner to limit the uncontrolled spread of suckers: Purchase one of those large 32 gallon plastic garbage buckets (cheap Home Despot type, usually under $20), and cut the bottom out of it. Don't just punch holes - cut the whole bottom out. Discard the lid; you don't need that. Dig a hole large enough to accommodate the plastic bucket so that only 3 inches of it remains above the soil line. The idea is that you will bury the bucket and refill it with soil and then plant your rose in it, effectively creating a deep root barrier. Suckers don't generally travel more than a foot below the soil line, so with three feet of plastic barrier below ground, you are almost guaranteed to keep the rose restricted to a defined perimeter. It is a highly-recommended practice when dealing with certain varieties of Gallica! (Including the aforementioned "Chuck-The-Aggressor", 'Belle de Crecy', and perhaps worse than Chuck, 'La Belle Sultane') Fifteen years ago I planted 'Charles de Mills' in the garden and that plant now occupies dozens of square meters of space. Seriously....it has now spread to a diameter of approximately 24 X 30 feet and still spreading. Nothing will stop it now except a strong herbicide. Make no mistake, the Gallicas are still my favorite roses of all, but I do believe they are best kept on a short leash. You've been warned!
    ...See More

anyone have a drain pan under the washer?

Q

Comments (24)
    We have an LG front load washer that has sprung 4 leaks in less than 4 years. First it was a water line coming from the cold water inlet valve, then the bellows hose, then the cold water inlet valve, and now the hot water inlet valve. The washer and drier are in a tight area in our laundry room, and the leaks have all been towards the rear of the washer. This makes them difficult to notice, as the water has been pooling up under the rear of the washer against the baseboard. My wife noticed water squishing out from under one of the 12 x 12 ceramic tiles in front of the washer a few days ago. I went under the house and found a water-logged OSB subfloor that is crumbling. Now I get to pull up the tile, hardyboard, and subfloor. I bought a drain pan from Home Depot that I'll have to install once the new floor goes down. My question is, is there a trick to getting a drain pan under the washer without breaking it, or should I set the washer down in it, then slide it in place?
    ...See More

Can I see pictures of your bed under a sloped roof?

Q

Comments (6)
    The problem I've always had with sitting beds in dormered rooms is that most of my beds are antiques with high headboards and the only place they would fit is at the highest part of the room. That really limits your choices in a smaller bedroom to the wall in which the entrance door is usually placed and the outside wall, and that usually has a window. Most of the time the bed ended up on the window wall, and I never liked that for obvious reasons.
    ...See More

Does anyone have floor to ceiling wardrobe closet/cabinet?

Q

Comments (1)
    Which episode was this? Sounds really nice but I'd find a cabinet maker. I was trying to look yesterday on HGTV for that episode but couldn't find it. I'd like to see it.
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    12 years ago

I think if you pull the bed away from the wall for staging it is going to emphasize the fact that the sloped ceiling is a decorating problem. It could be a deal breaker for a potential buyer. If you can move the bed somewhere else, that would be better.

• erinsean
    12 years ago

I would get a headboard and put your bed in front of the window.... or could you put the bed across the corner with a night stand in front of the window? Pulling the bed out from the low part of the wall will be a turn off IMHO.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Any chance the bed can go against a full wall and something like dressers or other storage under the small sloped section? Personally, I would be hesitant to buy a house where the master bed must be positioned under a slope like that. I (or more likely my very tall partner) would be thinking about hitting our heads while getting into or sitting up in bed. Alternatively perhaps you could put a console or other storage behind the bed (as a headboard) to push the bed away from the low ceiling and yet keep the space as useful storage.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

Can you stage the bed against the end wall instead?

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I agree, try to stage it so the head of the bed isn't on the sloped wall.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was able to take some photos of the room. They are of horrible quality as it was on pause from a video. If it helps I can share it...it is a fun one to watch as its a cool house in Queen Anne and was still undergoing remodel. He gutted to the studs and the house was built in 1904.

So...back to the photos...any and ALL suggestions welcome!!

{{!gwi}}

View from master bath

{{!gwi}}

To get an idea of room size
    {{!gwi}}

Behind the chair is a full wall of closets.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: tour

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By the way... to see the tour you have to be logged into your facebook acct. If you have one.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One more thing...I slept in the bed at this angle and had no problems reading or sitting up.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aha!!! I found real photos!

Click the link below. This was still during reno years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Real photos

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I wonder if a shelf installed behind the bed (about 10" deep), painted to match the headboard would do the trick. Or a boxy shaped headboard as shown (obviously not this color and without side units).

If you just move the headboard forward I think it will look awkward.

Here is a link that might be useful: headboard

• Sugar Plum
    12 years ago

The actual pictures help a lot! I think I would position the bed in front of the window, with an 'open' type headboard (like a metal headboard, or a wooden slatted one), and nightstands on each side.

I would put the chair/ottoman in the far corner, out from the slant wall a bit, if it would fit there (with a small side table & lamp), and put a short dresser along the slant wall.

Good luck. Non-conventional spaces are challenging!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

It looks like if you pull the bed out it will block the entrance to the bathroom door, or at least make it a squeeze? I'd skip the headboard, put a smaller bed (even a blow up queen) in there in front of the window with end tables and move the reading chair and lamp into the opposite corner. Or, as someone suggested a very airy metallic frame...would the one from the guest room work?

that said, it's a gorgeous house and is likely to sell quickly in Seattle regardless of how it's staged. Prime location, looks very livable...et. I'd love that view of the bridge.

• User
    12 years ago

WOW...what a cool house. He loves his bathrooms !!! They are each just so well done. I think the "trick" door is very very cool in the master bath :)

I have 2 bedrooms with queen beds in them and sloped ceilings . I have 45 inch knee walls and one full wall and the full wall is where we put the beds. I think the suggestion to put the bed in front of the window with the metal style bed that is open work design as in the other room upstairs is really the best way to go. Every other room is so well thought out and the master bath is SO gorgeous but the bed looks awkward and unfinished.

He has great taste !! c

• equest17
    12 years ago

Here is what we did in our MBR in our previous bungalow (built 1914). It's clearly a lot more feminine in style, but the bed position parallel to the knee wall was the most functional location (with a little nightstand against the low wall, as mentioned above). We tried various arrangements, but as you can see from the other view, there isn't any other place to put it in such a tiny room!

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks oly and sugar. Duh...just realized that is a king! We can def place the bed under the windows once its a queen and use the sloped wal as a reading nook.

Thanks for the link gmp!!

Other ideas for wall color, bedding and window treatments?

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Aktillery - I do! I have a painted shelf supported by painted wooden brackets that runs the length of the sloped wall, painted the same as the headboard. The shelf serves as "side tables" for photos on either side of the bed. It brings the bed out enough into the room that you don't feel like the ceiling is closing in. Good luck!

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Garden...do you have any pics?

Thanks Trailrunner! Yes he does have good taste...he picked me! Ha!!

Equest..thanks for the photos! Gorgeous room!

• Sugar Plum
    12 years ago

Could you pull a color from the tile in the master bath for the bedroom paint? On my monitor, the lighter tile looks like it could be a pale aqua blue - if so, BM Paladian Blue or something similar could work.

I like the white duvet / comforter that is on the bed. I would pick up a pattern that combines the other colors in the bath (charcoal?, white, aqua), and use that for shams and maybe a footwarmer across the bottom of the bed to add some interest.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I think the idea of a shelf behind the head of the bed or putting the bed in front of the window are going to be your best bets.

In the first picture you posted, I would have two panels (or one incredibly long scarf or length of fabric) hanging and letting so that you don't accentuate the sloping wall but instead frame it further out and create a cozy feeling -- similar idea to the net canopy. That would be something else I might look at, but not for staging unless you had the fabric or panels or found a great deal.

• gardenamy
    12 years ago

Aktillery - Sorry,no photos right now. Torn the room apart for new flooring. The "shelf" works for us. Brings the bed further into the room, provided display for photos and alarm clock. I do have bed side table on one side also. Shelf made sense for us. I was afraid the wall would be too close to my head when reading, etc.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I learned that my boyfriend made the bed and it has a 16inch ledge behind the the mattress that opens up for storage. So in this picture the bed is a king (need to stage with queen) and is already pulled away from the wall.

Thanks Las! Any photos of your idea? I can't understand it...do you mean hanging fabric from the slope like in the first example pic I posted?

Thanks garden...guess he almost has something similiar to a ledge.

Sugar, I like your idea!!

I am definitely going to paint the room a light color. Any other thoughts?

{{!gwi}}

• sheesh
    12 years ago

Well, since there are three other bedrooms, perhaps you could make this one a library or den and let the buyers worry about bed placement if they want it to be a bedroom. That is what we did in our last house. I realize the master bath is there, but I was just thinkin'......

• camlan
    12 years ago

Another possibility, but it would take some work, is to move that wall out by 2 feet or so. You could create under the eaves storage behind the new wall, and the bed could sit against the wall, but not be right under the ceiling.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just had a great idea! I would switch out the huge king bed and frame for a queen with no huge base...very simple and run it parallel to the sloped wall. I would then have room for a small table under the slop and another on the left side of the curtain. Maybe a large fabric round table. Next to that table I could use a cozy chair and of course put up some curtains.

This way I could use a headboard and a piece of art or two smaller pieces over the bed. On the opposite wall which you do not see I could use a taller thin piece of furnture to balance both sides of the room.

Thoughts?? That is, if any of this makes sense.

Putting the bed under the window will make the room seem really small. The current set up just doesn't work, so this may be the only way.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is an example...although different from my room...gives you the idea.

{{!gwi}}

• amck2
    12 years ago

aktillery, I like the example you've posted above.

I am very interested in this thread as we are hoping to complete an in-law/guest suite in an above-garage space that has sloped ceilings on both sides.

I think it makes for a cozy and interesting space, but it does provide challenges.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amck,
    Here is a link with super helpful photos!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• amck2
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for posting that link, aktillery - many good ideas!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I like your pic...why not get the smaller bed in there and try it both ways? I also think a bed under the window without a frame could look wonderful and maybe not too crowded. Personally, I would really hate a bed too close to the wall on one side, but maybe that's just me. I'd try all three ways and see which you like best.

with curtain over lower window - a shutter could work, too:

altho, I think this has a small headboard, but just pillows would work:

[eclectic bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2104) by atlanta interior designer Dayka Robinson

• geokid
    12 years ago

Love this house!

IMHO, a bed pushed next to a wall looks like, well, a bed pushed next to a wall. Nothing special in other words. The bed should be the focus of the room and I think placing it under the window is a perfect solution. As suggested, it gives a place for a low dresser and a cozy reading nook.

If that is where you place the bed, then I would go with crisp white linens on the bed. Nothing to compete with the window and view. You could choose any color for the walls that you like then. I like the blue suggestion above.

Makes me wish I lived in Seattle! :)

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oly and Geo thanks for your thoughts. I am definitely going to plan to put the bed under the window.

Thanks for the photos oly...that was very sweet of you.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was just thinking about when putting the bed under the window...would it look better to have nuetral colored curtains or something with color or pattern? The bedding will be simple and white with some neutral pillows and a throw for the end of the bed.

TIA!!

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did a fifth grader attempt at a mock up.

Thoughts on color or a good rug color or anything at all??

Thanks guys!
    {{!gwi}}

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Your bf is hot and he has done an outstanding job on that house.

I think anyone buying an older home like that realizes that furniture placement can be a challenge. A smaller bed will certainly help.

Unless you have absolutely nothing better to do, I wouldn't repaint or go to much trouble with the staging. I don't think anything you do along those lines is going to make the house more marketable. Good luck with it!

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I take back my last comment. Although I would not repaint, the bedroom does look unfinished. I think you need at least one bedside table, reading light, and a few other accessories to make it look a little prettier. Just some finishing touches to improve the overall impression of the room.

BTW, I have never seen a "trick door" like that. BRILLIANT!

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy...you are too sweet!!!! Makes me feel so much better!

In all honesty...the house needs a bit of staging and yes...I have a lot of time on my hands!! Plus, I get such joy out of it.

The market in Seattle is nuts! Every house in his neighborhood could go directly into a magazine! His living room and master just need some tweaking. Those are super important so I am on it. I plan to do it all for 1000. We already have lots of various furniture and art to play with.

He cannot afford to have it on the market for very long so I am hoping to make it perfect!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I like the current color of the bedroom; it's very outdoorsy/seattle. If you use white or cream bedding then either natural wood furniture/end tables like the windows or dark color pieces to contrast would look great. I might just use the rug that's there and move in into the area where the chair (and maybe low dresser) are going to go under the slope. Are there curtains on the closet wall? I can't really tell on my laptop. I might update those with something less contrasty with the walls, or look at some doors. Ikea has great options - their sliding fabric or woven panel screens are really reasonable and look like a deliberate design choice, not just a quick cover-up solution like many curtains on closets do.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oly, no the curtains are on the wall perpendicular to the closet.

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Regarding the green...it is a nice color but closes in the room which already seems small for a master. I was thinking a very light blue/gray/green would help it appear larger and more airy.

Do you guys agree??

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I completely agree. Thought I posted that earlier I edited and apparently took that out.

I know darker colors can push walls back visually, and I've heard that sloped ceilings should be painted the wall color to carry the height of the walls up, but I don't think you can do both - especially when the slope starts so low. I think a lighter, softer color will make everything feel lighter and less confined, but I also thing you are right not to go pure white. Give it some life.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I would ask your realtor, grays/greens/blues are less popular with buyers than on GW.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Las
    ..thanks for the suggestions!

Gmp if that's true we are in trouble bc his entire house is gray green. I have been researching the competition and saw a fair share of the blue/green/grays. I will have to dig further! Thanks for the heads up.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I think the colors you are talking about are fine, plus I've seen things you have done. Folks tend to balk at really bright or strong blues and icky sweet baby blue. Most folks also don't want a purple tone. With grey or green in there, I think you're okay. Those tones are also pretty popular now.

• amykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Las! I am the last person to use bold colors or anything icy. I am a fan of muted tones!!