SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whisperingwillow_gw

Granite from Home Depot? Starting to freak out a little.

whisperingwillow
12 years ago

I have read different threads on people getting their granite from HD but they have been several years old. Some are horror stories and some are happy customers. I have been told to seek out my own fabricator and I tried. I really tried. I don't live in a major metro area and the few fabricators I found were not very eager for my business. I either had no return phone calls, they didnt answer the phone or if I did get a quote it was at least 1500 more than HD. I have a small kitchen and only need about 36 sft of granite. I almost gave up on the whole thing but my husband convinced me to give HD the business. Just today, a fabricator I wasted time with over 3 weeks ago finally returned my call. When I met him he said he would call me later that day which obviously didnt happen. We have already contracted HD to do our work. Now Im starting to freak out a bit. Maybe HD was too cheap?

So far this has been my experience so please let me know if anything seems out of the ordinary. HD kitchen rep seemed very knowledgeable. He told me to make sure I set time to go pick out my slab as they vary. Fabricator called me regarding template. The appt is set for next week. She told me to make sure I go look at slabs when I can. She gave me the name and address of the supplier. Its 2 hrs away and I made the drive. I do want to mention it seemed odd when she called because her name came up on my caller ID, not a business. She told me to have the faucet and new sink on hand for the template.

I drove the 2 hrs to see the slabs. It was a warehouse with tons of granite but unfortunately they only had 2 slabs of the stone I picked. They were just okay. The movement was nice and so was the color except both slabs had a 12 x 12 black splotch right in the center the slab. I know its a natural material but it almost looked like a paint gun shot. There was no black in the rest of the slab, just that one spot. I didnt like it. The stone I selected is Bianco Romano. I had looked at slabs before and never saw a big black splotch like that on any of them. The granite place told me they would get more slabs in but it would be a week or two. I contacted the fabricator and she told me that sometimes it takes people a few weeks to find the perfect slab. The longer it takes me to find the slab, the longer it will take to get everything installed. She said its about being happy with the result so I didnt feel like she was putting pressure on me to go just get a slab but now I am concerned about if this supplier will continue to have ugly slabs. I read somewhere that slabs with black splotches are considered to be low grade.

I also read that existing countertops should be removed before the template. Others say no, the laser tool they use doesn't require counters to be removed during the template. All I was told was to make sure the counters are clear. The HD kitchen rep told me that if I don't find a slab I like I can cancel the whole thing if I want. I wonder how true that is.

Thoughts?

Comments (12)