SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Need a solid plan to give cabinet maker, please help!

homebuyer23
11 years ago

I am likely meeting with a local custom cabinet maker very soon! I received a quote from them based on a layout I sketched out but I need to make changes to it.

I could really use help since although I worked with (still am) 2 KDs, I don’t want to ask them to take time to show me any changes when now that I have prices I’m pretty sure I’m going to go the custom route. I really want to have a good idea of what I want when I sit down with the custom shop since I don’t think they have computer programs to show me changes until I know what I like, I sort of need to know ahead of time.

1. Prep sink…is it OK or should it be more on the corner or more in the center of the island? Somewhere else? Unnecessary (DH thinks so!)?
2. Induction 36" Cooktop/30" Wall oven…I was assuming wall oven under cook top, but after searching this topic, I’m thinking I’d be better off putting the wall oven in an adjacent base cabinet... I’m thinking to the right of where my cook top. Id have to steal an inch and a half from somewhere. I figured 36, but does a 36" cooktop require a 39" base?
3. And microwave…I know a drawer style in my island would be ideal, if budget allows I might go that route, but I hate to spend the $$ there. Will it look OK where it is? I wasn’t planning on a spacemaker, just my small one on a shelf, hopefully with some trim around it? Does that cabinet need to be deep? My current micro is maybe 14/15” deep.

If my spots for sink/appliances are established, can I have feedback on sizes/types of cabinets to surround them. For instance, I’m not sure how to get the best symmetry since I have 2 focal points on the long wall, the cooktop and big window/farm sink. I’m thinking that since I hope to have a nice big focal point with the window, I’m going to try to play down the cooktop so it doesn’t compete, does that sound right? I don’t want a big fancy hood, I think I want a stainless under cabinet, simple, but good quality and large enough…other question, do I need a 42” wide hood for a 36” induction cooktop? Can I just do 36” under cabinet?

I put a bunch of 24” cabinets everywhere, but Im afraid that’s too big of a door and if I make them all double 12” doors, that’s going to look like a lot of doors! I feel like I need to break it up with glass, different sizes, a skinny window, or an open shelf or something? Should the cabinets flanking the window be the same size? Should the cabinets flanking the stove be the same size too?

Do you see a spot that would look good with one of those taller, down to the counter, uppers? I’m thinking maybe on the side near the Dishwasher, it might balance that side out a little? But do they waste too much valuable counter space?

Placement of trash, drawers, spice, tray storage look functional? I’m hoping to put dishes in one of the 30” drawer banks in island.
Thanks in advance for any input!

Here is a link that might be useful: Entire First floor layout

Comments (7)