SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Retrofitting old framed cabinets--any great ideas/experiences?

artemis78
11 years ago

Can't find much in the archives on this, though somebody must have encountered this before...

I have a large, open framed cabinet that I'd like to retrofit with something useful--drawers would be amazing, but even just roll-out shelves or something similar would add functionality. This is actually in our bathroom, but I think these are the old kitchen cabinets from our 100-year-old home that were moved in a long-ago remodel. This space originally housed plumbing and has a flush inset door with mesh in it that we've removed since it doesn't open or close smoothly. It can be adapted to reuse it, or we can get new doors/drawer fronts/whatever.

It's basically a giant empty space, 22" deep, about 30" wide, and 24" tall, give or take. Above it are a bank of drawers, a shelf, and a tall cabinet. We are fine with losing some of the space if it means what remains will be more functional. We store towels and bath toys here now behind a curtain, but can rearrange storage easily. It's generally just a giant abyss where we throw things in and hope we will be able to find them later. Shelves are one obvious solution but wondering if there is something more functional, since it's on the deep side for standard shelving.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to retrofit this? Pretty sure I can do it by mounting a piece of wood on the side and attaching a standard drawer slide, but not sure that this is the best plan. Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH