FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
amck2

You Asked / Photos re Kitchen Remodel

amck2
8 years ago

For those new or unfamiliar with my kitchen remodel help requests, here is the story. DH & I bought a nearly new spec home 12 yrs. ago from a realtor friend who was having a custom home built in the same neighborhood. The cabinets & appliances were all in place. We replaced Formica countertops w/ granite, added the island (which has a corner cab & pullout trash) and the Hubbardton Forge pendant (which I still love).
The Dacor dual fuel range was great for several years but has been nothing but trouble for the past 2. We stopped using it over a yr. ago & I've been managing w/ the Breville countertop & MaxBurton induction plate you'll see flanking my range. I will be getting an Electrolux induction range. Because we're replacing a freestanding w/ a slide-in it will involve some retrofitting.

For the sake of brevity I won't go into details, but the fridge needs to be replaced as well. Since we're doing this, we decided to bite the bullet & replace the 14yr OTR micro w/ a proper venting hood.

Here's where I could use your help/vision - I've decided to keep my maple cabinets. They would not have been my first choice, but they're in great shape & I think I can work w/ them. The corner lazy Susan has always gapped (as seen in a pic), and I'd like to replace that one. I would also like ideas on the best way I might retrofit the big pantry cab to accommodate a new microwave. I've received suggestions about rev-a-shelves to make the bottom cab space in it function better.

The big questions I have are whether or not I should try to add on to my cabinet tops to make them ceiling height. Open or glassed shelving with heavier crown detail? I am planning to paint the perimeter cabs a creamy white.

The floor plan is so open the kitchen is in view from my adjacent sunroom/seating area, the dining room & the living room.
That was one of the most appealing aspects of this home for us as empty nesters, but it also drives my choices as I want to maintain a cohesive look throughout. That is why I'm including shots of the connected rooms.

Currently, the kitchen, sunroom & LR are painted SW Dover White and these all need re painting. I'd welcome your opinion as to whether I should paint my cabs the same shade as my walls. The DR has recently been done in BM Philidelphia Cream. Love it in there, but too yellow for the main areas which get lots of sun. Would like to know your paint color suggestions.

I'm thinking of painting the island in the taupey shade of the accent table you'll see next to my LR love seat. And, for the counter stools.....?? I was thinking black, which goes w/ my granite & my black painted china cabinet in the DR (a custom piece which is my favorite item in my home).

So, please take a look and tell me if you think creamy cabs, taupe island & black counter stools is a good way to go Also, your thoughts on backsplash. Just tile above the range to the new hood? Or remove the 4" granite BS & take it all around. In either case, I'm inclined to go w/ something simple & subtle.

Thanks for any help you can offer. It's a little scary putting my home on view, but I understand how much easier it is to offer suggestions if there are pictures to go by.

Comments (72)