SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Replacing trash compactor

marvelousmarvin
12 years ago

I've got an old trash compactor in the kitchen that I'm not sure what to do with.

I have a rental and was taking pictures to advertise it when I noticed that the dirty white color of the trash compactor doesn't match the appliances in the kitchen. And, it seems like a waste of vaulable kitchen space since it seems nobody uses them anymore, especially for this space since the kitchen is on the second floor.

Ideally, it'd probably be better to replace with something more functional that takes up the similar footprint.

But, the only thing I can think of with a similar narrow width footprint is a wine cooler which would certainly look pretty sweet. However, wine coolers aren't inexpensive and then you'd have to worry about another thing that can break down. The trash compactor is a waste of space but, at least, you don't really have to worry about it since nobody uses it. (Plus, I'm a bit worried that a wine cooler might attract lushes).

Or, take out the trash compactor and use that space for more cabinetry because it would be nice to have more storage for a smallish kitchen. But, I'm concerned it might be a hassle because you'd need to match it to the other kitchen cabinet doors and hardware and everything else. Anybody tried that before?

Or, does anybody have any other suggestions what to do with that space if I take out the trash compactor?

Comments (4)