SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Autoimmune disease pemphigus or lip fold pyoderma

debbiep_gw
15 years ago

Anyone familar with either of these illness's in dogs?I tried googling for info but I'm not undertsanding what I'm reading especially with the autoimmune disease.I took Lucy(basset/6 years old)back into the vet yesterday.I have another post about her clawing at her mouth.I feel its because of eating weeds,etc and she was having a bad reaction.She claws her mouth,rubs it on the floor rather hard.The fur under her lips would turn red/inflamed looking with green stains on the fur.I assumed from the weeds.This has been going on a few weeks and I talked to the vet once and then yesterday I decided she was going back in and they could sedate her and found out what was going on.My usual vet was not there.No foreign objects stuck in the mouth,no bad teeth(she did have her teeth cleaned while she was already sedated)the girl that works the front desk said they think it is auto immune disease pemphigus or lip fold pyoderma.I'm still aggravated about that.I've used this practice three years at least and its always been the norm for them to call me around lunch with a update if one of my dogs was left there.I received no call,not one even telling me I could get her at closing time.I went to get her and the desk girl had to tell me everything which by the way I was told I would be speaking to a vet when getting her.I asked her halfway through the conservation about the diagnois why was she telling me all this and not the vet and she said he was busy.I don't believe so because they were closed and I was the last one there.She had to keep going to him with the questions I had.Lucy has a recheck in 10 days with the vet that I've used the last several times.I'm thinking of transferring to another vet,I don't like how I've been treated there lately.I'm now wondering if this treatment has anything to do with me going ahead and having a tumor removed from her inside hind leg ,the first vet thought we should leave it for awhile and see if it grows and second vet which is his nephew thought we should go ahead with the removal,I felt it had grown and I was told if it was to be removed it would have to be before it got to large.This is a office of five vets by the way.She has another round of antibitoics,more predisone and a spray for the mouth area.This is the third bottle of anibiotics since march 17th.If anyway is familar with this illness I'd like to hear about it.Sorry for the rambling..TIA.Debbie

Comments (4)

• jessq
    15 years ago

My first dog had pyroderma all the time. Her poor paws and legs only cleared up for 3 months of the year. We think now it was either that we were feeding her a corn based food, or that she was allergic to grass.
    I'm so terrified of Pyroderma again with my dog Q.
    Pyroderma is very itchy! Imagine misquito bites, poisin ivy, and flea bites all in one go.
    The only thing I can suggest other than, getting a second opinion, as well as a new perminate vet(been with same vet for 16 years, and 2nd dog later!)is to keep her out of the said weeds/grass, keep the area around her mouth clean and keep her indoors for a few weeks and see if theres a difference. Antibiotics may never help with secondary infection, it didn't with my first dog

• cindyxeus
    15 years ago

>>>She has another round of antibitoics,more predisone and a spray for the mouth area.This is the third bottle of anibiotics since march 17th.If anyway is familar with this illness I'd like to hear about it.Sorry for the rambling..TIA.DebbieDebbie, the treatment for pyroderma and pemphigus is very different...the rule of thumb is if the dog responds to antibiotics it is probably not pemphigus. Clavomox is the antibiotic for choice for lip fold pyroderma,along with an ointment for pyroderma.. however pred. should not be used until pyroderma is ruled out. ( pred. will be used for pemphigus though)
    If it is pyroderma it could be primary or secondary...caused by offending agents such as weeds or even chew toys just for a couple examples or it could actually be due to the way the dogs lips actually are which causes a bacteria breeding place, if this is the case sometimes a surgical procedure to that area will correct the problem. If it's allergy related and the bacteria is secondary once treatment works if you remove the offending agents it more than likely won't come back.

Pemphigus on the other hand is different and is usually diagnosed by clinical signs along with a skin biopsy and immunologic testing.
    hopefully that will help clear some stuff up for you.

• Meghane
    15 years ago

I would believe that Lucy could have either disease, although lip fold dermatitis is certainly more common than pemphigus especially in basset hounds.

Pemphigus may or may not be itchy. The actual disease causes a layer of the skin to detach from layer below it. This causes a pustule (usually this lesion is missed), then crusts, scales, erosions, and ulcers. Usually pemphigus is symmetrical. Other possibilities include dermatophytosis (ringworm), ectoparasites (fleas, mites, lice), allergies, bacterial folliculitis, demodicosis, other immune-mediated skin diseases, cutaneous drug eruption, zinc responsive dermatitis, metabolic epidermal necrosis, and neoplasia.

The only way to diagnose pemphigus is to get biopsies. I would do a skin cytology on acetate tape to look for yeast and bacteria, a skin scrape to look for demodex, and if nothing showed up then a biopsy if I strongly suspected pemphigus. Depending on what her lips looked like, I may be more suspicious of something other than pemphigus, especially dermatitis.

In any case, I hope Lucy feels better soon.

• debbiep_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,its still confusing but I do understand somewhat better.They must think she has both as she is on predidone and anitbiotics.The antibiotic is cephalexin.Her mouth is better,she has not rubbed,scratched for four days now and the redness,etc is gone.I'm not sure if its only because of taking the medecine though.She hasn't had the opportunity to eat the weeds as I take her out supervised only.She has tried though.She has had skin scrapes and they were fine..Debbie