SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zanne_lh

backsplash install help! is this acceptable?

zanne_lh
10 years ago

hi

not sure if it shows up well in the photo. during the day, any lippage is hidden in the shadow cast by the range hood. at night, with the lights on, the lippage is very obvious (to me, anyway). even though the lippage only ranges from 1/32 to a little more than 1/16 (which would be undesirable but passable to me), because they occur on adjoining tiles in rows and columns, it makes it obvious where each mosaic sheet was laid (again, to me).

we did notice that some of the sheets did not interlock tightly and left a small gap. i am ok with the gap if the sheets are flush depth-wise with one another. i do not think the sheets were flattened with a block during install, however. they told me it wouldn't be that visible when grouted, but because it is lit directly and the sheets are not flat, the grout doesn't really hide the lippage problem.

am i being overly anal? or is this a sloppy/incompetent install? i unfortunately have the fine skill of being able to hone in on every imperfection, so i am not sure if my standards are too high, or if theirs was too low.... would you be ok with this?

the tile was pretty expensive.... not sure how the tile guy is going to respond.

if you agree that it needs to be redone, would it look ok if they just pop out some of the worst tiles & replace, or do i ask to have most of it ripped off?

incidentally, the tan between the white marble has very minimal grout. it's mostly crema marfil micromosaic.

thanks for your input.

Comments (21)