SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Can You Help? Yellow Tile Backsplash

amck2
16 years ago

DD and her fiance are purchasing an older home and will be remodeling the kitchen --- on a tight budget.

I got my 1st look at it and see lots of potential.

It's a small U-shaped kitchen which extends to a bay window with room for a small dining set.

The cabs are well constructed but are stained dk. brown with country-type hardware - mid '70's. They're removing/replacing the hardware, and they want to paint the cabs a light color to update and brighten the space.

The appliances (which will stay) are white.

Countertop is an old laminate, which needs replacing.

Here's the tricky question - There is a 4"x4" ceramic tile backsplash in a very soft yellow surrounding the perimeter of the counters. She's thinking they might keep it. It was nicely done and is in great shape. I agree that it could be a unique feature - the tile lends a sort of warm, cheery, retro feeling. This isn't a house where a hip, modern kitchen would work.

She has asked what wall, cabinet and countertop colors she should go with if they keep the yellow tile. Since cost is an issue, it will likely be a laminate countertop.

The floor is a neutral, fairly new sheet vinyl. That will stay till they can afford to put wood in throughout. The kitchen is visible from the living room, so while it's okay to have a punch of color in it, she doesn't want to have anything too wild that won't flow with the adjoining room.

I will try to get pictures, but for now, with the info above, can anyone envision a way to go with this kitchen?

My head is spinning! Thanks for any help you can offer -

Comments (10)