SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alyciaadamo

Calling all German Shepherd(or any dog) Breeders please

alyciaadamo
11 years ago

PLEASE NO JUDGEMENTS HERE!

I have a 6 yr old German Shepherd who is not spayed. When I first got her at 14 weeks I thought maybe I would breed her when she got old enough. I talked with my husband and finally "woke up" hello duh!! By the time I had realized that was a bad idea we didn't really have the money to spay her. She is now 6 and even though we still don't have the money I can come up with it and I am sure I can get our vet to take payments. So my first question is CAN I fix her at 6?I don't want to lose her she's my baby. It may sound like a dumb question to you but for me I am someone who doesn't really know a ton about dogs reproductive systems.

Now here's the kicker, I have been pretty good at keeping her inside during her heat cycles and when she goes out we are with her the whole time. We now have a small fenced yard so it is easier to watch her. Loose dogs used to come in our yard when she was in heat all the time, but since the fence I have not had to worry as much. I still keep an eye on her because I have heard of dogs jumping unfathomable heights to get to a female dog in heat. This last heat cycle I got an unwelcome guest. I was putting my children to bed and ran down stairs for some jamies from the dryer. I always let the dogs(I have a fixed male as well-really fixed we would have known if he wasn't by now) out after I put my girls to bed so when I went down stairs they wanted to go out badly. I figured we had a fenced yard, she was at the end of her heat and it would only be for literally 5 minutes since the dryer was only 10 feet away. When I came back to let them in(really only 5 minutes) I called them but she didn't come my male did but she didn't. I walked on to the porch and just as I called a second time I saw her sniffing a black lab! He ran away UNDER the fence when I yelled. I don't think they had a chance to do anything but I am not sure. That was the beginning of April. I could normally tell if her behavior was changed but it has been changing the last few months anyway. Also same with her body, she has since gained weight in the last 6 months so it is difficult to tell if she is gaining ABnormally! She has been a touch calmer in the last few weeks but again not sure if this is just due to her age. I looked it up and it said a vet can do a ultra sound at 20 days to see if she is pregnant is this true? Plus IF she WERE pregnant what would that mean for her? I have read some not nice things about whelping and am really worried about her whelping for her first time at her age.

Please I came here for answers because I really don't need the judgmental looks from others or the speech. I know it was irresponsible to keep a dog intact. I'm not asking for any one to coddle me but I really don't need any sarcasm either. I am just worried about my dog.

Comments (13)