SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

cat chewing cardboard

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

I have a 2 year old cat who over the last few weeks has started chewing up everything in the house. she likes to gnaw on cardboard boxes. She shreds them (doesn't eat the cardboard) and then moves on to something else. Chews at the corners. She has started my 9 month old kitten doing this as well. They have acccess to plenty of food so it can't be from hunger. I thought maybe it is boredom but they have 6 other playmates to interact with. I thought maybe it is stress but actually she should be LESS stressed out now because I used to have 5 young kittens and a new adult cat (fosters) in the house and over the past few months most have left and we are down to one new adult cat (she's been there 3 months so she's not NEW) and 2 older kittens (9 months- the young kittens that have grown up).

My cardboard chewing cat is a tortie. She is very high strung- doesn't like to be petted much or picked up. She is very demanding and acts like a spoiled child sometimes. She is a sweetie though. I found her as a 5 week old kitten and she was the baby of the family for about a year until I found five kittens abandoned. Then most of the attention went to them and I'm sure she felt slighted. (if cats can feel that way). She used to sleep on the bed with us (glued to my side) but now she doesn't because the kittens are there along with one of my adult cats. Normally she is happy (she walks around with her tail curled when she is in a good mood and she hardly grumbles at the kittens anymore. She loves to play with two of them( one that just got adopted and another that I still have)

She has also taken to chewing water bottles (we find them leaking with teeth marks in them). she sometimes chews on pens. I have no idea what to do about this behavior. I've tried spending more time with her, giving her more attention (she doesn't tolerate affection for very long) and she seems to like my efforts but still keeps chewing on everything. She is fed a variety of food (canned and dry) so I don't see how she's not getting the correct nutrients she needs. Why is she doing this?

Comments (11)