SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onyxdaily

Can you be too close to your pet

onyxdaily
17 years ago

I am wondering what others opinions are about being extremely close to your pet. The reason I am wondering this is because of our last dog. We had a black lab for 11 years. We loved her to death. She was our child (we cannot have human children), and we lavished all the love we had on her. If we were going on vacation, we only went places where she was accepted. She never spent a night away from us. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 16 and we spared no expense on her testing and treatment to keep her with us. And we had almost an extra year with our precious little girl. When she did pass away, it almost killed us. I took bereavement leave from work. We could barely eat, we couldn't sleep. And as much as it hurt me, myhusband was even worse. He probably did not even smile (let alone laught or joke) for a month. It's been 15 months now, and we do have new dogs. But this was not totally planned. This little stray hound found us, she was living in our barn, this past October, we decided to keep her, then we got her 2 playmates (a lab and a st bernard). But one thing we talked about was not wanting to get so hurt again, at least not to the point of devastation. And we told ourselves that we would not get so close to our new doggies. Well, I tell you for me, it's already too late. Those little ones just worked their way right into my heart, and even though we have only had them a few months, I am already totally hooked on them. But you know what I am experiencing with these new doggies. Constant worry. And I mean constant. I don't know if it's because of the devestation of losing our last lab, or what, but with these 3, I'm already worrying about everything. Every little thing, I'm worrying about it, that something might be wrong with them. So, am I getting too close to them already? Or am I just being a worry wart? What are everyone's thoughts?

Comments (19)