SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
westiemom_gw

70's split facelift...help...please!

westiemom
12 years ago

This is a photo of our house that was built in 1975. We are having new windows installed on the 30th. They windows will be white casement with divided window panes. The living room picture window will be changed to 4 panels instead of 3. The roof (blackish??)/soffit/facia (white) is fairly new so they will all be staying.

Could you please give me suggestions for colors for new siding...shutters...front door...garage doors...trim...do we keep the brick or paint it?...DH would have a

FIT if he knew I was even thinking about painting the brick...but it doesn't hurt to ask...right????

The brick is terracotta with cream...not quite sure how to describe it??? The siding is a sage green...which I don't mind but it is in bad shape and needs replaced.

We also will be replacing the NASTY retaining wall too.

Can't wait to see what you think!

Thanks!...Sandy

Comments (34)

• mom2sethc
    12 years ago

Hi!

Now sure about a siding color, I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions. I just wanted to say that I like your brick. It doesn't look dated. It looks current and nice!

Elaine

• Ideefixe
    12 years ago

I like the color of the brick, but I'd replace all the faux-colonial stuff with more modern, sleeker-looking things. Like the pediment over the front door and the garage doors. The profile of the house is very cool, and I think more dramatic landscaping would play that up, as well.

• Related Discussions

70's Split Foyer... Flooring Update

Q

Comments (8)
    You've got to figure the foyer at close to a thousand dollars..maybe a hundred or two less..so that put your 700 sq ft of engineered Brazilian ch at around 9 grand...that is just shy of 13 a ft installed with rip out and the base..I mean every area is different..Around here an engineered like you are mentioning would be less money. There are different calibers of engineered. the three that you mention as alternatives will probably not save you money from the Bruce. I will be honest, Bruce is my least favorite of the 4 you mentioned as their quality control at times is terrible.it sounds like a lot of money for 800 f of flooring, but you are talking about top end cost points because of it being Brazilian cherry and ceramic I think you mean...Or is it really slate? Carpet wise if were me it would be either Anso or Smart Strand..both will give you performance...It's really hard to ridicule the price on the hardwood, as areas are so different. Also a good hardwood installer is worth more. We did a new house last week and were crunched with our crews...so we put a b quality crew in this home for 5 inch wide oak with a brand new builder that we acquired and we did not do a great job, so I now will be scrambling this week to get it corrected or replaced...No every store takes that approach either, but damn it , i ahould have made the customer wait an extra week and put an a crew in there. i should have known better. I will say that Home Depo and Lowes have very few what AI call craftsman working for them. let me say this, when you install new hardwood in an existing home, in can not be any tom dick or harry that installs it. It needs to be a carpenter..not a carpet layer.. There are few carpet layers that can be a craftsman with hardwood....but a lot of them think they are...So you must know what you are getting for an installer of hardwood or ceramic for that matter. Just some words of wisdom...You got my email..let me know if I can be of any more help to you. Thanks and good luck...Sorry for the lack of caps and spelling ...its late and I do not want to correct them all. Let me know.
    ...See More

70s Split... Exterior Colour Suggestions?

Q

Comments (4)
    Here are some more inspiration pics. If you want to use cedar, the logical placement is to continue the line from the overhang over the front door to the garage with the cedar from under the front door overhang to the bottom edge of the second floor. By painting the front door a modern color it would change the entire front. Good luck! ^ ^ ^ Note red front door Frank Lloyd Wright 1893 Winslow House^ ^ ^ Note continuation of garage and front entrance. Heavy trim. ^ ^ ^ Note horizontal trim, stone bottom section, use of color ^ ^ ^ Note heavy white trim to delineate house details, wood garage door and stone bottom section ^ ^ ^ Note white trim, wood garage doors, stone bottom section
    ...See More

‘70s split level exterior update

Q

Comments (2)
    Agree, the shutters look to be too small. Remove them or get some properly sized ones. I would then paint the garage door so it blends in with the siding more and then paint the front door so it pops. Beefing up the porch railings would also help!
    ...See More

Opinion: does this dark stain look too "70s"

Q

Comments (3)
    I double checked, and it IS water seal. I'm glad you think it looks good... to change it I'd have to unscrew it from underneath, and the back part has MAYBE 12" of clearance! So I had to army crawl on my back to get to them, and I was NOT looking forward to starting over!! LOL
    ...See More
  • westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mom2sethc...Hi...Thanks so much!...Everyone is so kind and helpful on these forums :)

ideefixe... The landscaping is something we plan redoing. The photo was taken last summer. We live is southwestern Pa and have had the WORSTwinter in a long time!
    The deer have made a mess of the yard looking for acorns...and the retaining wall by the driveway is bulging from the weight of the snow...we're holding our breath it doesn't give way.

Thanks!...Sandy

• susieq07
    12 years ago

A rich shade of brown, would look great with that brick! maybe milk choc. siding with drk. choc. shutters...

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

The *ONE* thing I find that ages the house is the garage doors. I could see the house re-done in a more rustic, maybe English style~just a thought.

These doors might give you a bit of inspiration. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: garage doors

• westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

susieq07 - Thanks for the suggestion!...I have such a hard time trying to imagine the "before and after"!

patty cakes - I agree... The garage doors do date the house... The front door has the same "lovely" arches.

I like the rustic "English" style idea as we do live out in the boonies! We are planning an inside remodel too...I have a thread started in the kitchen forum ...I'd like the "style of the house to be carried from outside to inside...If you get a chance take a peak at the kitchen layout and let me know what you think!....Oh!...Thanks for the link...I like a few of the styles...what a difference they would make!

Sandy

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

I agree about the faux-colonial stuff. IMHO it needs to go. If you took off the shutters, the ornamental entry thing, and changed the garage doors, it would be a HUGE improvement.

Our house, though a one-story ranch built in 1956, is similar. It's brick and white vinyl with faux colonial touches. We can't afford to replace the garage doors (which were brand new then we purchased in 2008) with the nice wooden ones we'd like, but we're replacing the arched colonial "grills" in the windows with a more cottage-y square grid.

We're removing all the shutters and the colonial style exterior lighting.

We're removing our vinyl siding and replacing with cedar shingles in a gray/tan and then painting the "brick" (which is actually not real brick, but brick-colored cement block) a similar gray/tan. Wide creamy trim on the windows, and a fir craftsman-styled door.

But in your case, it looks like you have real brick, and pretty brick, too. If that's true, I wouldn't paint it. I think that the biggest bang for the buck would be to change the entryway trim and garage windows. With a nice, cleaner-lined modern door and landscaping, it'll be sweet.

What's your decorating style? I think there are a lot of door styles that could work here, from traditional to contemporary.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

staceyneil...Yes the brick is real and in very good shape...I would say our tastes run toward "Traditional"...Any color suggestions for the new front door... siding...trim...or shakes????..I hadn't thought of shingles but it may look good?

What would you do for door trim??...Shutters??...ditch....or replace with new color???...Our new windows will have the grids in them....Wonder if I can take the arches off the gararge window until they can be replaced?

Thanks so much for your help!

• nancyvh
    12 years ago

I agree with the others about replacing the colonial elements-i.e door pediment and garage door arches(hopefully you could just replace the grills). As far as colors, I like the idea of maybe a nice warm taupey/khaki color for the siding.I like the khaki,white trim around windows and doors w/black shutters. Traditional and crisp. By the way, how cute is your Westie in the window???

• leafy02
    12 years ago

I just wanted to start by saying I'm glad I'm not the only one on the forum with a split level house ;-)

My house is so homely I feel sorry for it, probably why I bought it in the first place. I think yours has more potential to look really nice.

As others have said, I think the shutters, the garage door windows, and colonial surround around the front door are taking away from the clean lines of the house. Without those things, you could have long, lean lines that would highlight the house's original style.

I would aim for a siding color that isn't a huge contrast with the brick, perhaps a shade of brown that is just darker than the darkest color on the brick. Or, if painting the brick is in the budget, you could unify the whole look of the house by having brick and siding the same color.

About the garage doors: the salesman from the garage door company told me that I don't have to replace the whole door to get rid of the funky windows on our garage door, we can just replace the panel that the windows are in. In our case, the garage door was practically new, we just hate the windows. So, replacing the panel seemed like a better idea than springing for a whole new door. According to his quote, it would cost a little more than half of replacing the whole door.

It's hard to see from the photo what the light fixture above the door is like, but if you are able to get rid of the door surround, one way to really make the entry look great could be the light fixture.

• htnspz
    12 years ago

It's hard to give sugestions for your specific questions because I see other elements that would could be addressed and they aren't the ones that you're inquiring about.
    The siding's fine, the color's fine, the brick's fine, the garage doors would be nice in a wood finish, lose the shutters. Just losing the colonial elements would be most helpful.
    Here's what I think should be addressed: The front door could use some attention in the way that it blends into the wall and competes for attention from the patio(?) area to the left. How about maybe a pitched roof over the door area? I'm just not sure that there is enough clearance for the posts on the side, but right now it feels a little flat.
    I think your goal should be to infuse a little bit of those traditional elements into your design and try not to fight the architecture of your house so much. It's a lovely ranch and it can be traditional without being colonial.

• manyhosta
    12 years ago

You might find some inspiration in this publication that is a plan book of ideas for remodeling and renewing split level and split entry homes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Split Visions Plan Book

• msrose
    12 years ago

I hope someone comes along and does some photoshopping for you. It would help so much to see the different options. I would use siding in the brown family. Not sure if I would try and get as close to the brick color as possible or something different. I personally like the shutters. It gives you a place to add more color. I love brown, cream, and black, so I would keep the shutters the color they are. A brownish red door would be pretty. You said the white soffit will be staying. Can it be painted another color like cream?

Laurie

• westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your input!

I'm all for losing the pediment above the door...What should I use in it's place?...Door styles/colors...trim/colors...lighting/styles????

Yes that is a covered porch to the left side of the house...The front porch landing is very small...when we replace the retaining wall...maybe be could enlarge this area?...landscaping advice would be welcome!

We have 2 Terriers Westie & Cairn who LOVE to DIG!!...They have made a mess of the front yard especially in front of dh's office window ...ground level left of porch.

If anyone is able to Photoshop the photo that would be great!...I'll try and take a photo of the brick close up today...it's not really brown...more of a rust and cream....I'm not sure if sofit can be painted...does anyone know?

The house does lack a sense of style both inside and out...This will be a one time reno for us... dh is 61...I'm 50... we plan on being here at least another 10 years...we are both retired...I love DIY projects...dh has some health issues so he is very limited in what he can do.

Keep the suggestions coming!...Sandy

• awm03
    12 years ago

Well, I'm going to be the odd woman out here. I think the colonial elements are fine. They were so prevalent in the 40s-70s that, to my mind, they're an accepted & traditional style even on a home with contemporary lines like yours.

The problem, IMO, is you've committed to divided light windows, which are traditional in style. If you strip out the other traditional elements to go contemporary, then the windows would look off. I'd keep the colonial look & upgrade the garage doors & exterior lights. It could look like a mid-century interpretation of colonial, a standard American suburban style.

Anyway, here are two (admittedly crude) renditions. Hope these help with ideas.

• awm03
    12 years ago

Just for comparison (and in case your new windows have removable grids) here's the contemporary rendition without the divided lights. It's a cleaner look.

Your house is really pretty. It has good lines, alignment and balance. I like the brick and the side porch too. It will look nice however you change it.

• awm03
    12 years ago

Since playing with your house design is a lot more fun than folding laundry, I did a picture with "painted brick." If you step back from the monitor & squint, you'll get the idea. I just have a basic photo editing program, so sorry the presentation's not more polished. Frankly, I think painting out the brick makes the house look a bit generic. But what do you think, westiemom?

>

• awm03
    12 years ago

If you can stand one more, here's the traditional home with wider shutters (more appropriate) in a softer color:

Now, on to laundry...

• suero
    12 years ago

Here's my take. I didn't put divided lights in the windows, but I did replace the windows in the garage door with a solid panel.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I say keep the shutters or replace them with another color or different one's. But the house without shutters is just too naked looking. It's the one thing I notice when looking at older homes where there are no shutters. lol.

Of course it depends on the style of windows you have and if you keep your current windows, keep shutters too.

Love the brick, I wouldn't touch it!

One more thing. I like the retaining wall because you can plant so many flowering, trailing vines to go down it which are just lovely. Is there any way you can fix the wall? With trailing plants you won't be able to see the wall.

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

I agree, if you delete the shutters you really do need to add wide window trim (which means re-doing the siding.

The problem with vinyl siding is that the window trim is always so stingy and mean-looking!

• westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How much fun is this to actually be able to see different colors!...We have committed to the window grids so I agree I need to find ways to capture the "Traditional" not "Colonial" look.

awm03...Sorry to have put you behind on your chores...but I really appreciate what you've done...I really like the grids in the windows...dh & I have been going back and forth on it since we placed the order...I feel much better after seeing you version!

suero...What color did you use?...What a big difference color can make...Thanks!

patty cakes...gave a great link to Clopay garage doors...I really like the whole look of the first house on the site...do you think this style would work for my house?

The retaining wall has to be replaced...I'm thinking of a stacked stone???. What do you think?

The light fixtures also need replaced...there a brass ones up now...and they just kind of fade into the brick...what color/style lighting wold be best?

Oh!...The Westie in the window stays...She allows us to live with as long as we never run out of "cookies"! lol

What about the porch???...Thanks again...Sandy

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Westie, and while we're at it, new shutters would add a lot to the 'new' look also.

Here is a link that might be useful: shutters

• leafy02
    12 years ago

Wow, I just want to applaud the photoshopping. I have no idea how to do that and think it's great that others are able and willing. It really does make it easier to think about things!

• awm03
    12 years ago

Oh good, Westiemom, glad to have been some help. I know they're not great renderings, but thought the pics might help with visualizing a few things.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

leafy02...Wow and DOUBLE WOW!...The willingness to help others is Amazing...I can't even color inside the lines let alone try something like awm03 and suero did!

awm03...I'd be glad to save you from your "chores" anytime...we have soooooooo much to do...prioritizing will be hard!

patty cakes...Any particular style you would recommend?...the black ones we have now are louvered...leaves get stuck in them all the time :(

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Okay, I didn't take time but to scan the replies, but didn't see that anyone mentioned screening in the covered porch on the left. It would be quite easy to do so using the ScreenTight system. Just frame above the bricks with two by fours then add the system linked below. We did this to our front porch and it's the best thing we ever did. Not only does it work great for humans, but our pets love having access to the "outside" world while still being kept safe from all that's outdoors.
    I also want to add my vote to NOT paint the brick, keep shutters and if your garage doors are in good working condition I'd check and see the arches are removable before buying a new garage door. There are faux techniques to change the look further too.

Here is a link that might be useful: ScreenTight

• suero
    12 years ago

Color: I just tried a color that would pick up the color of the brick. It's close to Sherwin Williams Down Home (#6081).

• westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

justgotabeme...That is something we've always wanted to do...Thanks for the link!...I love being outside... but am a bug magnet!...The pups love being out on the porch...hence the baby gate...We also need to replace the scratchy green astro turf looking carpeting...I want to try my hand at laying tile???

If we screened in the porch and added a door that would help alot.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I love the last pic that awm posted. I would definitely go for a clean modern look without divided light windows. I think divided lights may be a little busy for the style house and going back to the idea of mid-century modern would be great. Like those modern garage doors, too. We have a 1960 ranch and used doors from Frenchporte, but they are more traditional.

Here is a link that might be useful: garage doors

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I thought you might like that idea. Both Lowes and Home Depot carry the ScreenTight system. We've actually had to re-install the screen this past fall since the grasshopper ate so many holes in it it looks as though we lived in a war zone. I'd recommend using their Solar Screen since the grasshopper never ate a single hole in any of the thirty windows we have in our home. And that's saying a lot because we live surrounded by corn fields and grasshoppers are rampant around here every few years.
    There is also pet screening too that I'm sure would give the same results along with working well with your puppies. I see one is looking out the front window of your home. I meant to mention that in my first post.

• westiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

justgotabeme...Thanks for the heads up...I'll check it out next time I'm at Lowes...I still can't come up with a color scheme I like :(

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

justgotabeme-grasshoppers eat through screens???? Oh my goodness. That is amazing.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Yes Cyn, they do. At least the standard black fiberglass ones we originally had on our home. And they can get to highest of windows too. Our home is three stories in the back (walk out basement) and they made their way all the way up to the second floor. I've always hated grasshoppers, they didn't have to do this to make me hate them more.

Westiemom, I like the one you have now, but I understand wanting to change. I was thinking of a color like suero did at 14:44 on the 12th with black or charcoal shutters and door.