SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20096495

Disappointed....

User
13 years ago

Every eight weeks for almost 2 years, I go to Canadian Blood Services and donate a pint of blood. Each pint helps up to 3 people who need it. I eat well the week of donation, but this week I didn't eat as good as I usually do. There is a Dutch meal that I absolutely love that is very high in Vitamin K, which is a healing vitamin that I always have 2 days before I donate. The night before we eat salmon and fresh spinach to boost the iron a tad, plus I make sure to take my multi-vitamins. After all, the person who needs my blood wants the healthy stuff....

I asked my husband to pick up a small pack of beef liver (he practically gags at the thought of it LOL) for me to have for supper, along with a bag of fresh spinach. I cooked it up and my older son and I had that, while my husband and other son had left over pasta from the night before.

I got to CBS this morning with my sister, who also donates only to be told my iron was too low. Normally, they ALWAYS tell me that with the first test. Then they squeeze a second amount from the SAME spot and it's just fine. This lady poked me from a different finger and it was low again. She wouldn't let me donate, which I understand. I don't understand why she took the second test from another finger. My sister tested low with her first, and her tester squeezed another drop from the same spot and hers was fine.

So, this got me to thinking: I have been very tired lately. And I know I haven't been eating as healthy as I should be. I think we're going to incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies in our diets and less canned veggies. The lady at CBS told me to eat lots of beets. I LOVE fresh beets! I cook them, then peel them. Then I grate them and put them back in the pot with a little vinegar and sugar and finely diced onion. My husband doesn't like them, so for me I can eat all I want. The variety of fresh veggies is bigger than canned and frozen anyways, and tastes better.

I was actually quite upset that I couldn't donate. I feel I just let 3 people down.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths