SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camg_gw

An update and another question about dog obedience

CamG
11 years ago

Hey everyone,
I posted some months ago about how to get our 6 year-old lab/dalmatian mix to stop growling at our son. We saw a local trainer, and kept him next to us always on a leash for a long time... long story short, we've pretty much fixed that problem. Whether from mere time or the steps we took, I don't know, but we're thrilled. (We of course still keep a tight watch over the kid and dogs.)

Well, fast-forward to today: my wife gave birth last week, so we've got a new baby in the house. We've got lots of family coming over constantly, and we're facing a new gigantic problem: the dogs freaking out when people come over.

Mostly, it's the lab/dalmatian. Our trainer had us correct him with his collar, but when people come over, he couldn't care less how hard we correct him. He's just got a one track mind: jump on the guests! We've now had people come over almost every day for the last two weeks, and we thought it might improve, but it hasn't significantly.

Any thoughts on what to do? We've worked with several trainers, and no one seems to have any effective ideas. We love having company over, and our dogs love people and calm down after the first few minutes, but the absolute chaos when people first come over is too much to handle.

We try to have the dogs lie down and stay on their dog mats in the living room when people come in, but almost nothing can keep them there. I'm considering getting remote control training collars that can vibrate to warn the dogs and then provide varying levels of shock to correct them when they ignore the warning and up from their crash-stays. I'm not terribly concerned this will hurt the dogs, as their pulling against the collars like crazy right now has to hurt, but it must not hurt enough for them to avoid the behavior! I would hope we wouldn't have to keep them on long. We previously put on automatic bark collars which had worked really well, so I know the minor shock works well for the dogs. But the collars are pricey and I don't want to go through a long time working with if they won't work or if another method would be better. Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (19)