SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

cat rapidly lost weight, not eating

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

I posted here about a month ago about a little black and white cat I'd wanted to adopt from the shelter I volunteer at and how he died. Well it is happening again and although I'm not attached to this 2nd cat I wonder what is going on and if there is something we can do to put an end to it.

About a week after the shelter kitty I fell in love with was euthanized I noticed a new black and white cat (Female) who was new to the shelter. I was drawn to her because she was almost the spitting image of the 9 month old cat who died that I was distraught over. She didn't have much of a personality, just wanted to be left alone and sleep all day. At first they kept her in a cage and then recently put her in one of the cat rooms. She doesn't purr when you pick her up she just looks at you as if to say "just let me go back to sleep" I recently found out that she is 2 years old and that she was adopted from the shelter as a kitten and her own recently passed away and she was returned to the shelter. WHen she came in she was healthy looking but aloof. When I saw her yesterday I immediately notified the manager and they put her in quarantine. She has lost so much weight she is skin and bones and she walks very slowly and is not eating. She isn't taking care of her coat either. They were going to put her on iv fluids to see if that helps her. It is scary because those are the exact same symptoms that the kitty that I couldnt' save had. (except he had a little cold as well). I'm not getting attached to this one because it is too painful but I just see a pattern here (and its strange that they look so much alike as well) Not related though. My thinking is these cats just stop eating (for whatever reason- don't like the taste of the food, have a cold and can't smell the food, are depressed etc) and just starve themselves. Or maybe it is FIP. I have no idea. But I'm not sure what to do.

Comments (11)