SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Bragging on my baby - comes when he is called

elphaba_gw
16 years ago

The front door blew open today when I was bringing in groceries. Problem is that I didn't know it because I was putting up groceries in the kitchen. By the time I went to go for some more bags from the car and realized the problem (maybe 3 to 5 minutes) , he seemed long gone. I called but nothing. Terrible feeling. When I call, I have a very loud kind of shrill voice so it carries a good ways, I know but when I didn't get a response, I turned to get my keys and a leash and realized that I had to start looking.

Then... out of the corner of my eye, I saw from the window, him coming with tail wagging and smile on his face. He ran up the stairs and I praised him and petted him to the hilt. Gave him some treats and that was several hours ago. I'm still loving on him like I have never done before.

I am so proud of him. He is the first dog I've ever had that when he got out, he came when he was called. Of course I was lucky with no other puppy on the street or distraction, could have been different under different circumstances.

For those who haven't trained your puppy, train them well. I've seen many a pet owner whip their dog after the dog ran off and then came back (after causing some worry in the meantime), for example in a park or something.

Be sure to PRAISE and not WHIP your babies, even if you've been about to pull your hair out worrying.

Comment (1)