SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

Dog park vent! (long)

weed30 St. Louis
15 years ago

I just have to VENT about what happened at the dog park today:

I went to the dog park with Daisy (small beagle) and Lola (medium shepherd mix) today. There were 4 - 5 other dog owners and their dogs already at the park. Everyone was getting along fine. An older couple (60's - 70's) entered the double gated area with two large greyhounds. They did not unleash the dogs, instead walked into the fenced area with them on leashes. (first no-no in a dog park.) When they got to the middle of the park, they put a basket muzzle on the larger (male) dog. He was really big, the largest greyhound I've ever seen.

The muzzling made all of us who were already there a bit concerned. Then they unleashed both dogs. The big muzzled male immediately took off, charging at our dogs. He zeroed in on a large husky type dog, and as he was running by us, you could hear him growling/snarling meanly and see his jaws chomping. The big husky mix started running away, with the greyhound trying to get at him. Had he not had that muzzle on, I know he would have attacked. The couple did nothing, just watched. A number of the other dogs, including my two, were running after them, thinking this was a "fun" chase. But soon you could tell by the type of barking that this was NOT fun and instead dangerous.

All of us were very upset, yelling at the owners to get their dog. They still did nothing. Finally one of the other people caught the big greyhound as he cornered the husky and got a leash on him. I'm still stunned that she did it - I was terrified! The big husky (he really isn't a husky, but I can't remember the breed, it was unusual) got under one of the benches and hid. This dog was *clearly* afraid.

We all started telling the owners that they should leave, that their dog was scaring us and our dogs. They said their dog was just running, that they bring their dogs to the park to run them. We said their dog was scaring and upsetting everyone, humans and dogs, and a dog that needs a muzzle should not be in the park. The woman said "We can take off the muzzle, but then he will "nip" at the smaller dogs". (ALL of the dogs were smaller than him, and that dog would definitely have done more than *NIP*.) He was really aggressive, and the sounds he was making were frightening. Like I said, this was the biggest greyhound I've ever seen, and he was one huge angry muscle.

We said they should go to the small dog side, since there was nobody in that area. They said "We're not leaving." Several of us kept telling them that their dog was scary and aggressive, and did not belong in a dog park. The "husky" dog's mom was almost hysterical. They still refused to leave, so we all took our dogs into the small dog side just to get away from them. We also warned new arrivals to the park not to go into the large dog side.

They didn't stay much longer, I think because their dog had no other dogs to chase/attack. They clipped on the leashes again, and slowly walked them towards the gate. Several of us approached the fence to talk to them again, and tell them that their dog did not belong in the park if there were other dogs present. They were very unconcerned and even said to the "husky" owner: "Your dog wasn't scared, they were playing." I witnessed this, and that dog was *SCARED*, and it was a BIG dog, probably 90-100#.

After they left, we all went back to the large dog side. My beagle would not get farther than 10 feet away from me, and this is HIGHLY unusual for her. Usually I am hunting for her, worried that she might climb the fence and escape! The "husky" dog also did not stray far, and her owner said this was not like her at all, that she is usually running all over and playing. These dogs were obviously traumatized by the greyhound. My Daisy finally relaxed about a half hour later, trotting off to explore.

I just cannot believe how RUDE and INCONSIDERATE these owners were! They should have immediately volunteered to go to the empty small dog side, apologizing all the way. Their arrogant attitude was just disgusting! I am normally a non-confrontational person, but when it comes to my dogs safety, all bets are off. I have kicked out two dogs/owners in the past, one of which was kinda scary. (Rough looking guy with a large unneutered dog.)

All of us who were there plan to call the city to complain on Monday. I have already written a long email to them.

Not looking for advice, just VENTING!!!

Comments (27)