SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quirkyquercus_gw

Pet Birthdays

17 years ago

Do you celebrate your pets birthdays and if so how?

I've got two birthdays coming up and could use some gift ideas. what do you give dogs that already have everything and are spoiled rotton? :-)

I'd like to invite over some other dogs or something and have a proper party but I don't think any of the neighbors will unchain their pitbulls for an hour or so and come over. hehehe. Maybe I'll post a message to my local area breed group and see if anyone wants to get together at one of the new dog parks my county has constructed.

Comments (23)

• 17 years ago

My pups were recently invited to a doggie birthday party. Kinda strange but actually everything went very well. Lets see, there were 3 bassett hounds - the birthday boy was one, he turned three. Two labs, a Sheltie, a Boston Terrier, a Lhapso (sp?), my two doodles, a Yorkie which stayed in Momma's arms as well as another Poodle type dressed in a party dress, there was another couple larger dogs - one was the kind that has folds in the face but not bull dog, and the other was kinda golden lab mix type. they all ran around but were not aggressive with each other. They kinda herded the Boston Terrier but the owner of the BT said he played like that with friend's dogs all the time.

The food was more for the humans, but there were dog treats and the cake was a hoot - a yard with dog house, fence, toys, and fire hydrant. Banana cake, I think.

There were gifts for the birthday boy. Since the owner is starting Obedience classes for Rufous - I gave her a gift certificate to help out with the Pinch collar she will need (he pulls her all over the place) and two squirt bottles that we use for training, a bag of Pupperoni. Guess the gifts were really more for her than Rufous.

BTW, the only dogs that barked were the bassetts - howled actually.

When my doodles turn 1, I think we will throw a pool party since we just got the pool refinished basically for them! HA HA! We haven't used the pool since our dear Chelsea, our beloved Brittany, quit swimming when she couldn't get out of the pool because of her bad legs.

• 17 years ago

Birthday partys--no way, Christmas yes, mine have so many toys and stuff they only get half of them at a time.They get together with DD,s dogs and cats a couple times a week and party.
    You could look up that guy that gave you a dirty look and invite him over to see how spoiled your dogs are.LOL
    vickie

• 17 years ago

Heck yea! Gifts for all 3 dogs. Birthday dog gets a special gift.

Big bone with candles. Light candles, sing Happy Birthday, sometimes hats. Everyone then gets a treat bone and the two legged celebrants usually have a piece of human cake or cupcake. I am attaching a pic of one of past celebrations.

We've only done one birthday with additional guests and their pets. First birthday of middle child is on Flag Day, so we had a larger party. It was a real fiasco, so we now keep it small.

{{!gwi}}

Getting everyone to pose for a pic is an ordeal and sometimes doesn't happen.

• 17 years ago

That would be just silly.

• 17 years ago

labmomma your link was just bringing up the photobucket home page.

I like cynthia's pic though. Candle might be a little risky with hairy dogs, course mine would prolly just eat the candle first and get that out of the way.

I just don't feel like the boys get enough time to socialize with other dogs. We go to the off leash park every now and then but I just wish there were more social people in this city that like to do things with their dogs. If it were a matter of a desert well then everyday would be a birthday. A couple of us have been trying to get them to build an offleash park near here. There's a huge neighborhood park only a mile from here that we go to all the time but the county hasn't made plans to put in a dog park there. There are several but only concentrated in the southern end of the county. The next county over has one offleash park but it's way in the northern end of the county.

• 17 years ago

QQ- Okay, I can see my pic on my computer? I also can see Cynthia's. BTW, Cynthia your dog is so well behaved waiting for that plate of food while the candle is lit. Do you sing Happy Birthday? Whenever my middle guy hears that song, human or dog celebration, he thinks we are singing to him:). It's always all about him. LOL

I am reposting the pic.

{{!gwi}}

This is old gal's 11th birthday.

Okay, when I preview it, I can see it. I don't know much about this computer stuff, and Photobucket totally baffles me. LOL

Hope you can see it now.

• 17 years ago

Looks like a blast.
    Yeah I know pb is funky sometimes. Lots o'cookies are to blame for that.

• 17 years ago

Well, when I was driving from vet to pet store today I decided on the events for Monty's 12th birthday in June. (That's his 10th above.) A crack of dawn run at the dog park with a bunch of his grey friends, to be followed by a cooldown event at my place. The dogs will get water and if they can wait an hour+ after running they can have fruit or homemade frosty paws. I think the dogs are more likely to just flop on the beds on the patio after the run. Then the people can socialize over fruit, muffins, coffee and juice in the back yard. Thanks for getting me thinking about this Quirky. 12 is special, so he deserves an event :-)

• 17 years ago

First birthdays we do at our house. On my beagles first birthday, we took her on a trip to the pet store, let her sniff all the treats/toys and she eventually took a few for herself, so we bought them, and a new sweater..and her big girl collar. Then we just spent extra time with her, walks, etc.

Christmas is a big to-do for our animals. They all get stockings and each gets a small present. The cats usually just get a ton of toys, since they aren't huge on treats. But the beagle usually destroys half the cat toys within a week, so there aren't that many.

• 17 years ago

Not fair. I want to celebrate too. What to do, what to do when I don't know pet's birthday? Is it OK to party on day you got pet - or is this socially unacceptable & possibly frowned upon ? Labmomma, beautiful dogs, & Cynthia - you were right, that would be silly. How adorable!!!! Thanks for posting.

• 17 years ago

We sing "Happy Birthday" and she gets a special toy/present. That is it really. But, it does get celebrated.

BN

• 17 years ago

For my adopted dog I will have to celebrate his b-day on the day he was adopted. I don't see what's wrong with that. How else are you supposed to know? You can't exactly cut one of the legs off to see how many growth rings there are :-)

• 17 years ago

I think you pick a day -- and it becomes official! If your dog objects, ask him to look up on the calander and tell you the day ;)

Every year, my old cat got a "mouse" sculpted out of braunschweiger for his birthday. When he was young we had invited people for the party -- he wasn't all that interested in other cats! We celebrated his birthday on April Fool's Day, and we ate cat shaped cake.

Birthday's are good -- whoever's birthday they are!

• 17 years ago

Yuk! Checking the growth rings sounds much too complicated. I think I'll go ahead & start planning a big party, based on adoption date, since everyone has gone for the week & I have nothing better to do. I'm thinking we'll all take the day off from school/jobs. I'll check out MS for recipes & ideas etc. Now I need to find out what the heck braunschweiger is & is it safe for humans?.?.?. I think I'm on a roll.

• 17 years ago

kelly,

For the pets we don't know the birth dates of, we use the date we adopted them or pick a special day to you! (I usually pick summer months and hope for good weather:)).

Doesn't matter, I don't think my guys even know its their birthday until we get out the candles and start the process of sticking them to the bone. That's when the action starts. They are out of control, and they aren't even sure whose birthday, but they know there are treats involved!

Braunschweiger? Never heard of it?

• 17 years ago

ROTFL with tears streaming down my face. You pick a day, any day, as long as weather will be good. Stick candles in a bone & everyone is happy????? Any experts care to solve the braunschweiger mystery? BTW the pics are great.

• 17 years ago

"How else are you supposed to know? You can't exactly cut one of the legs off to see how many growth rings there are :-)"

Check in their ear :-) My dogs all have their birthdays and litter numbers tattooed in their ears.

• 17 years ago

Yeah, I pick a day:)). However, we stick with that day every year, we don't pick a different day every year depending on the weather, now that would be crazy. LOL

Also, getting candles to stick to an already slimy cooked marrow bone is not an exact science. You have to melt some wax to get the little birthday candles to stick. You should be ROTFL because now that I think about it, I must sound like I've gone 'round the bend!

Anything for family!

• 17 years ago

My dog is planning on having his thrid birthday party next Saturday. A local place that does doggie daycare has a special for renting out the place. Its great. He had his second birthday party there last year. Much nicer than his first birthday party which we had at a local dog park. That was cold and much too muddy for it to be fun. The indoor place is great because the dogs can run around and play, which they seem to be missing with the long winter. We just got about 15 inches of snow this past weekend, so the indoor play time will be a welcome break. The place provides doggie birthday hats, which usually only stay on long enough for a picture to get snapped. All the guests also get doggie bags to take home which include a little rawhide treat, a tennis ball, and a few snacks. I haven't made a cake yet (but if you have any good recipes, let me know), but I do usually bring FrostiPaws for everyone. Digby, my old english sheepie, gets a few presents, usually a new stuffed animal, rawhide, or chew toy. Its a fun time for everyone.

• 17 years ago

Since I don't know Bo's birthday he has a "Gotcha Day". We usually have Frosty Paws.

• 17 years ago

Sorry for the mystery! Braunschweiger is also called liverwurst; it's a coarse pork pate. And an excellent modelling clay!

Yofi would go absolutely insane at the scent of it and pace up and down and give his most piteous "little kitten" meow until he got a little smidge when I made sandwiches. I had to take the trash out immediately, because he was known to dig out and eat the wrapper!

He and I are the only ones I know who really love it!

• 17 years ago

Our beloved Onyx (who is deceased now) was a stray we took in, so we celebrated the day we got her. We would celebrate differently every year, car rides, doggie treats, trip to the pet store, but the one thing we did every year was tell her the story of how we found her. She would just lay there and look at us very intensely, and I just know she understood every word. Our 3 new doggies have not had any birthdays yet, they are too new, but I plan on doing something special with them, too.

• 17 years ago

We celebrate "adoption days" at our house. Christmas is another major event for the pets. They love to tear into (literally) their stockings for the good stuff inside (catnip toys for cat and Charlie Bear treats for the dogs). Plus, we plan an "adventure" for the dogs at least once a week. An adventure usually consists of a trip to Petco or going on a walk at a local park instead of the usual neighborhood stroll. It's probably a good thing we don't have kids . . . we'd never have the time for it all!