SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Kidney problems in cats linked to..

Anne_Marie_Alb
16 years ago

I have read A LOT and learned A LOT this past year with one of our cats suffering from kidney issues, and losing another one to cancer just 3 months ago.

Besides last spring's tainted food scare, food quality has a huge impact on kidneys. Obviously, chemicals, pesticides, drugs (please stay away from METACAM) are also huge risks. But this is not the point of this post.

I picked up the magazine "Animal Wellness" (Feb/MArch issue) because of an article "Kitties and Kidney disease".

I quote: (p. 82) There appears to be some correlation between vaccines and kidney disease. Studies done at the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine etc... to support this connection.

"My experience has shown that the vast majority of CRF cases are triggered by vaccines, chemicals and drugs," says veterinarian Dr. Blake. "Vaccines historically target the reproductive and urinary systems of animals. If the animal is susceptible, the vaccines cause an inflammatory response in the kidneys, resulting in loss of function".

WEll, it just happened that my 13 year-old cat started showing signs of extra drinking/urinating very soon after his rabies shot (end of '05). I will make it short. We always had healthy cats, so we did not know any better. We relocated in 2006, and..started seeing a new vet. At his first visit, he received 2 more vaccines (the combo FELEUK, FVRCP). Sure enough, his drinking/urinating worsened. This is when I started going through all the 10 years of records of our previous vet (which I had copied before passing on to the new vet). BUN/Cr. had just gone over the normal threshold 6 months after the Rabies shot. On the first page of his records was clearly stated "possible negative reaction to Rabies vaccine). Had I just known then how to read all of this, I would not have let the new vet vaccine him again. He is now dying of CRF and cancer.

When it was time for our other 13 year old cat to go for his check-up, he also received the combo vaccine and ..a booster. That, I will never understand why, as he was current with his shots (suppose the vet did not check his old records to realize he was good for 3 years..). I was concerned, yet, did not dare question the vet. I feel so responsible! Well he started losing interest in what was happening around him. Had some partial blood work done. 4 months later he died of cancer.

Well, I know it might be just coincidental. Yet, through all the reading I have done recently, over-vaccinations keeps coming up again and again-linked to CRF and cancer. MANY sites agree with the risks of over vaccinations (just do a quick search on google). Basically, immunition lasts much longer than previously thought. Adult cats don't need vaccines any more, although getting around the 3-year rabies shot is probably impossible due to the legal requirements.

Well, enough ranting. Just thought this might save some cats... Do get informed before over-vaccinating. Please do not be afraid to discuss benefits of vaccination (which depend on your area and on whether your cat goes outside or not) with your vet. I thought I was protecting my cats... Not so.

Another big thing I learned.. ALways, always get a copy of any tests and learn how to read them!!

Anne-Marie

PS: just one of the many sites warning against over-vaccinations

Here is a link that might be useful: vaccinations for dogs and cats

Comments (12)