SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Selling Weedy Acres...staging the loft & laundry

weedyacres
12 years ago

We have a loft area at the top of our stairs with a built-in bookcase, desk area and then laundry room at the end. We need to do some major paring down of our computer equipment, so no photos of the desk yet, but here are the bookcase and laundry room.

On the bookcase, I made an attempt at what "they" say to do: a few books and some knickknacks leaving lots of empty space. Because it's not how I would use bookcases, I need some feedback on whether I did it "right" and any specific things you'd move around. The stuff on top will not stay; it's leftover small knickknacks I've got that could be used somewhere (except the 2 tallest ones that won't fit).

Here are a few shots of the laundry room. It's L-shaped, with the counter extending across the back wall, and a pass-through linen closet that has doors in the hallway and an open back so stuff can be put in from the folding counter side. There's also a pull-out drying rack that homes on the wall you can't see and hooks onto that thing you see on the wall above the sink.

Any and all feedback welcomed!

Comments (8)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I don't think any work is necessary here. It is all new, clean, bright, and highly functional. I have seen many cute laundry rooms, with neat accessories and the ever popular light aqua color. If it were for you, I would do those things. But for resale? I don't think youd get anything out of it.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    12 years ago

I like what you've done. The loft has character but not clutter. And the laundry room looks great.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

If you have a wicker laundry basket, you could put it on the counter, with or without a couple of folded towels inside, but I wouldn't leave a plastic one out. It's fine as is, and so is the loft area.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I'd buy your house just to have that laundry room! Looks great as is.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

The bookshelves look really nice. I'm not a staging expert, but in some of the sections that are pretty light on books and accessories, I might add in a few more. The middle and bottom right and bottom left look a tiny bit empty to me. But overall it looks great. Perhaps you already have plans with staging a desk area, but you might consider including a small reading chair with ottoman or chaise and a lamp. I would love to have a little reading chair by all those books.

Your laundry room looks really tidy, spacious, and functional. I would absolutely love to have that much space in my laundry room. Personally, I would remove the pan under the washer unless it's absolutely necessary. (Anytime I've had washer incidents a pan that size wouldn't come close to saving anything.) If you want to accessorize, you could include some nice looking (maybe wicker?) hampers under the empty counter spaces. Or maybe a stool (nice for folding laundry). I like the idea of a nice wicker basket with some folded towels on top. But really, nothing needs changing. The space looks clean, bright, and downright luxurious.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

I would not remove the pan under the washer. It is probably a code requirement or at least is a safety feature that would tell potential buyers the current owner didn't skip on those things. Looks like it is scooted well back nad not a tripping hazard. Looks like you should be done or nearly done.

• erica1234
    12 years ago

I think both rooms look good. I'd love to have that laundry room!!

• susanka
    12 years ago

I think both are perfect. Clean, uncluttered, light. It's not about how beautifully you decorate; it's about the buyer being able to visualize what they will do with the space, and I think you've staged this wonderfully well.