SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junicb

Small kitchen layout help needed

junicb
14 years ago

Hi, all. We are in the midst of planning our kitchen renovation, and the layout has me a little stumped. I am hoping the great minds here at GW can talk me through it.

Background: The house is a brick two story, built in 1911. We bought it a year ago. The kitchen had been renovated only about 10 years prior, but it had been done shoddily. Cabinet doors were loose, drywall seams were showing, sheet vinyl was peeling up. We had to remove plaster on two walls for repairs, so we figured we should go ahead and rehab the kitchen before closing back up the walls. This isnÂt our forever house, and we are very budget-minded, but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Below is our current layout. As you may notice, thereÂs no fridge. The POs kept it in the mudroom. Ours is in the dining room until the new kitchen is ready. The current pantry was put into a space that used to be a window opening  it just bumps out into the mudroom.

(Each square represents 3 inches.)

Our big issue: the kitchen is hemmed in by load bearing walls on three sides and our very vital half-bath on the fourth. So, our footprint needs to remain the same (which is about 10Âx10Â).

Goal #1 is to have a kitchen that actually contains a refrigerator (novel, right?). So, something has to change. I like the idea of moving the mudroom door over to where the pantry is now. That allows me to have the fridge in the kitchen and an extended run of counter space for rolling out pizza crusts, cookie making, etc. An example:

But the above involves turning to load the dishwasher, which seems a little awkward. And, my partner really dislikes the OTR micro, but IÂm at a loss for another place that doesnÂt nab counter or cabinet space. Help is needed! Thanks!

Comments (11)