SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillylily

Mudroom cubby/built in question.

gillylily
12 years ago

Hi everyone-

I have been away from GW for a few weeks as I have just gone back to work after being on "maternity leave" for almost 9 years.

We are also in the process of finishing our basement so i am a little overwhelmed, but once it is done (we are getting there) I will show you pictures of the finished product!

Our next project is to finish our mudroom. While the basement is being done, we decided to have the builders remove a closet in our mudroom b/c it was a trap. Every time someone was in the mud room closet and someone happened to be coming in from the garage, the two doors would collide. It was just not designed well (our fault for not being more educated and able to read the blue-prints when we built our house). So we ripped out the closet and are adding a bench with hooks above, a cabinet to the ceiling and a cabinet below for the shoes. This is where the problem lies.

I'm looking for advice on the shoe cabinet. Should we do a sliding door on the bottom (similar to that of a closet sliding door) a pull out bin (picture a toy box with a hinge but coming out forwards instead of on top) or a two door cabinet?

THe reason I am considering a sliding door is because in the event one of the kids leaves open the the other two options, we will have the same issue with the garage door. This is the general look I am going for, except we are not going to have a divider between cubbies. Just one large area with hooks.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elissa

Comments (13)